1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass EQ help/question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yezhik, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Yezhik

Yezhik

Mar 23, 2012
    So i've got myself a five string Ibanez SR, and i love it.

I'm just confused as to how the EQ works, since this bass has EQ adjustments for Bass, lo-mid, hi-mid, and treble.

For now I've left my amp flat, and made EQ adjustments only on my bass.

Does the bass override EQ on the amp? or does the amp have more effect?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

They just work in tandem. None of them override the other. The best starting point is setting both your amp and bass EQ flat and spend some time listening carefully to the effect that each knob/slider/switch has on your tone. Finding the best "recipe" for your taste and needs isn't an overnight task.

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    To an extent each one overrides the other. For example if both have the same +/-15 dB range on the treble band then if one is set to -15dB you won't be able to get +15dB out of the other, the most you will get is 0dB. In fact the range of the other will then be -30dB to 0dB So, they don't override each other but they do add together and the setting of one will affect the range of the other.

What to do depends on your situation. If you always play through your own amp then you probably want to start with the amp controls flat and experiment with what you can achieve with just the bass controls for a while. If that is satisfactory you are done, if not you can then tweak the amp controls as needed to give the bass controls the range you want. The biggest advantage of on bass controls is that they are handy so you might as well set everything up so that you can use them exclusively in this situation.

If you always play through an EQ panel run by a sound crew then you probably want to set the bass controls flat and let them do their magic. If they need you to adjust the bass controls they will tell you. The biggest advantage of having a sound team is that they free you from worrying about these details so you might as well use them to full advantage in this situation.

Ken

4. Yezhik

Yezhik

Mar 23, 2012
    Thank you for the info.

I mostly play gigs, so i'll always be playing on another persons amp, and that's why I found the controls on the bass appealing.

It's just at home, what is "flat" on the bass? when i set all the controls to 0(except for volume of course) it completely shuts the sound off. So would setting them on "5" out of 10, be "flat"?

5. Ed Storer

Ed Storer

Aug 2, 2011
    Yes. Having the tone controls in the middle of their range is where you set for flat.

The Ibanez should have detents (click) on each of the controls at the midrange poinr.

6. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    It's always best to start flat and adjust according to your needs.

7. Yezhik

Yezhik

Mar 23, 2012
    Thanks guys for clearing that up!