1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass EQ Help/Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mattbass97, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Hello, I previously owned a boss geb-7 and liked it I sold it because I got a new amp and thought nah I'll not need it... A little while later I'm finding my self needing it and I'll be playing through unknown amps at some point so an eq will help me adjust my sound. Anyway i was hoping you would have other suggestions such as the MXR 6Band? What would recommend between the two?

Thanks

2. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    maybe a preamp stompbox type??? that way atleast you have some control over your tone.

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph !! Supporting Member

If this is your main preoccupation, I would also recommend a preamp instead of an EQ, such as the SansAmp PBDDI. Most preamp have some kind of eq'ing and also provide tone-shaping capabilities, which, if I read you correctly, would be what you want. By using a unit like the SansAmp, you would sound the same no matter which amp you play through. Other bassists will avoid using the SansAmp just for that reason (it does provide "color" to the tone), but there are options: MXR Bass DI, EBS Micro Bass and others a search on TB will turn out. If you are into the SansAmp, there are also different options: BDDI, PBDDI, Deluxe PBDDI, Paradriver and also rack units (RBI, RPM).

Hope this helps.

4. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    thanks but i just havent got the cash at the minute to use on a pre amp as much as id love one. This is more of a want than a necessity. Anyone have any feed back on a boss ge-7b?
    its the older version of the geb-7 is it any better?

5. Bassmike62

6. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

Apr 9, 2011
    Ahh behringer.. Ahaha not too sure I've never really had good reports on them..

7. Bassmike62

Totally Agree.

But if there's one Behringer pedal that does get positive comments, this would be the one.

8. Yup. Just got mine. Just don't step on it. Great sounding pedal, cheap plastic enclosure. May rehouse mine into a rack mountable enclosure since its a set-and-forget pedal.

9. Wild Steve

Wild Steve

Dec 19, 2010
    Empress Para EQ.
    Steve

10. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    You don't need a preamp pedal.

There. I said it. You can use a straight EQ pedal like the MXR and just the natural sound of your bass sing. If you want overdrive, add an overdrive pedal. I understand the need to plan for any amp or PA system, as that quantifies the majority of my playing.

Oh, and unless you've had first hand experience, don't go ripping on Behringer pedals. There are some of us that have been using them for quite a while without any issues. If you choose to limit your options because of "someone else once said", you artificially limit the tones you will ever be able to create. Sometimes, "crappy" pedals are the answer for the just the right sound. If not, no one would ever own a DS-1.

:D