Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Essay

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I have a free-topic writing assignment due in two weeks. I have decided to write my essay on the history of the bass guitar. Does anyone have any suggestions for good online source material?

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The electric bass was invented by Leo Fender. Look him up. It's actually quite an interesting story.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    <small> *cough* Lloyd Loar *cough*</small>

4. Actually, I think he invented the electric bass guitar, not the electric bass. Im pretty sure Ampeg invented the electric bass, but i could be wrong.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I stand corrected. Leo invented the Electric Bass Guitar. Pivotal moment in history that!

6. That statement is questionable too. I Carl Thompson's father had already built a bass guitar by the time Leo got round to it, but Leo certainly refined it and made it affordable. There was once a small article on this subject in Bass Player. Anyone else see that?

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    One of my google links used the words "Audiovox 736" which was developed and produced in the mid 30's.

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    the best bit is that he invented the bass guitar so bass players could dance!!

...with a bass weighing in at 15lb or so.. slab body and bassball bat neck!!!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You're all wrong!!! :D

The original poster doesn't specify electric bass guitar!!

So there were bass lutes in the 16th Century and there have undoubtedly been acoustic bass guitars around for many centuries - there are huge Mexican instruments that are really bassy and similar to a very large guitarron! etc etc.

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    "whaddeva" :D

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Point of Order, Chairman!!" - he said bass guitar!! ;)