Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass exchange!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudemeister, May 14, 2002.

1. I recently recieved an email from a guy who maybe is interested in exchanging his 5str Modulus Quantum bass for my 4str Spector NS2000. We are going to swap for a couple of days to try them out and if we are satisfied we just don't change back!:D

What do you say? Is it a fair deal? Anything special I should look out for, since I've never played one before?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wow...if that goes through that will be one heck of a trade in your favor.

good luck!!!

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    5 for a 4, 5 for a 4....5 FOR A 4!!! DO IT!!

:D

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Unless there is something seriously wrong with his Modulus, you are getting a heck of a deal. That bass retails for almost 3 times what your Spector does.

As long as he knows what he is doing, I say go for it. But don't rip him off if he doesn't know what he's doing. What goes around, comes around.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  6. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Make sure that Modulus has a truss rod. It is too hit and miss on the pre-truss rod models.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    That would be an excellent deal in your favor. I agree with Embellisher, find out why he wants to do this swap and see if he understands the value of both basses. Also, make sure that the Modulus is not defective in any way.

8. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I thought that graphite necks did not need truss rods?

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hmm.. Seems like this deal is a sickly good one. Does he know the value of your bass???

10. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Depends on how the neck was made, not all graphite necks are made the same way. The original style of modulus necks had a problem of bowing over time.

11. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    I have a "pre-truss" Modulus and have never regreted it nor have I ever had any problems with the instrument. In fact, it's an M-92 5 string, which is the predecessor to the Quantum 5 Sweetspot. Do the deal. It's a steal. If he backs out, I've got an Ibanez SR500 with a Jazz neck I'll trade him for!:cool:

12. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That guy can have my Danelectro if he doesn't like your bass. Just tell him to send it to Umeå and I'll pick it up at the busstation.

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Where's Peter Duncan when you need him...?

:rolleyes:

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    shh!

15. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    OK, what the H-E-Double LL am I missing here!? Everything I have ever heard about graphite necks is that they are rigid, and do not need truss rods. If that is not the case, then will someone kindly educate me as to why that is not the case. I don't appreciate being treated like a newbie when I honestly don't know.

And who is Peter Duncan? Am I displaying further ignorance by NOT knowing who this person is?

16. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Thanks!:)

17. chrisbs

chrisbs

Jan 12, 2002
    Is it legit?
    Make sure you get his bass in your hands if you are ready to give him yours, even for a try out.
    also, make any notes (both of you) of any scrathces, etc before you do the deal, that way, nobody can point fingers at newly discovered damage after the swap

http://www.fretland.com

18. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Oysterman,
    I did miss those two threads, so thank you for pointing them out to me. That answered alot of the questions and cleared up some things for me. Learn something new every day.

Also, I am sorry for having such a snappy response to your :rolleyes: last night. I was stressing over something bad, and directed that angst in the wrong direction. My apologies.

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    No problem. And it wasn't directed towards you if you thought so. It's just that I'm having a hard time writing "Peter Duncan" without spontaneously attaching a rolleye smiley at the end.

:rolleyes:

See? There it was again!