Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass fabrication just got easier....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tiefling, Aug 31, 2005.

1. tiefling

tiefling

Aug 19, 2003
    Washington DC
  2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    A guitar made out of pine?

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    someone alert the wishnufsky people quick.

ya the pine outs him for the wanker he is , at least he wont have problems with cramping , because his hand will be stuck to the pine juice oozing out of the body.

the world doesnt need more half-assed designers fresh out of school with narry a job at mcdonalds to their credit , endangering the lives of the builders and innocent by-standers.
    ugh

4. I don't see how it has become any easier. CAD programs and CNC machines have been used by bass builders for a long time. So now they can rough cut out a body and neck for you, then you have to finish it, mount the hardware, wire it...

I just don't see how it's easier. I also don't see a mention of price.

It's certainly cool, but I don't know that it's worth it if you want to start building instruments. Warmoth does this already and you get great finishes, necks, fretting, etc. for a pretty fair price.

I guess if you really want some bizarre body style, it might be worth it, but if it were me I would just head out and build it myself.

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah but this allows more people to have access to CAD and CNC so if you want to design you own body shape you can do it. If you just want a jazz shape Warmoth would be much easyer though.

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    $880, according to the article.

3D printing is pretty cool, but it's not about to change the guitar world.

7. Yeah, I read this a couple weeks ago. It's equal parts interesting and vile. Talk about cashing in. 880 bucks for a lucite body? Just to snap a squier neck on? and you have that fancy CAD program yet don't even know the basic concepts of guitar design, and therefore rout under where the bridge was to mount? Sofa King dumb.

Good for you pal. I think someone has a wallet-to-brains ratio severly out of whack.

8. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    The saddest thing is that he just produced a slab-bodied guitar. There isn't a single thing his $880 bought him that he couldn't have done with a band saw and a router.

A nifty new tool is only cool if you use it to do something that's much more difficult or even impossible to do without it.

CAD/CAM is useful for shapes that actually have compound curves in them, like the Bongo. It would be bloody difficult to do a body with curves and bulges like that without computerized machinery.

9. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Did you notice that the bridge is actually mounted to the alum. plate? I'll bet it plays like a dream :rolleyes:

For me, it seems pretty cool, but for a guy who's used AutoCAD and other CAD/3D tools for the better part of 15 years, I am also kind irked. Ho hum... so you've got a $1200 squire... yick

10. Dude, I don't see the problem. It's a semi-acoustic now. ;)

Yeah, 15 year's + worth of CAD here myself. Hell, I make my own bodies. Have a nice 8-head Heian Router at my disposal. :D

11. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Wow color me green, I'll be that thing's pretty sweet.

:hyper:

12. Yeah it's cool. Whaddelse ya gonna do with your lunchtime...eat? Nay!

13. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    that guy should have used a polished aluminum plate and a better neck

14. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Wow. Tens of thousands of dollars worth of machinery and a single outlay of $880 to build a poorly designed, overweight guitar fitted out with the cheapest of cheap components. I'm practically speechless.

If this is the future, get me the hell out of here.

15. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    is a 3d modeller and animator.. this is a very cool concept for me...

i can make tangable products from the 3d models i made or have made :) like this one....

[​IMG]

it'll probably cost an arm and a leg thoug...

or maybe one of these... [​IMG]

i was a lonely child :meh:

16. I've run emachineshop and it's not all it's cracked up to be. For instance, you are NOT capable of machining anything from anything - you are limited by the capabilities and whims of the vendors that emachine enlists to do the machine work. I've been surprised over and over at what they say they can't do and what materials they don't offer. I have done test runs on everything from simple small 3D pieces to even simpler larger flat cut pieces and the one thing I have found is that there is a threshold that I can't seem to get over - about $220 for short run pieces regardless of size.

I would just load it up and try out some shapes to see what you can expect. You will probably be surprised.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Nice pics! I especially like the first one. I didn't think there were too many other people into 3D modeling. I just got into it a little while ago. Check out my thread from a little while ago. :)

What program do you use? I'm a Blender man myself, most on account of it being free. :D

18. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    well i dont do this stuff anymore... mostly cuz i had a lack of ram to finish any of my major projects.. now that i finally got a 3 gig processor and a gig of ram im too lazy to do it lol

but i used to use 3ds max 5 with brazil...