1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Face - some thoughts...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kesslari, Feb 18, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    In my life as a percussionist I work with a lot of dancers and have played for a lot of dance classes.

One thing that struck me this week is how dance teachers are always telling their students to smile. They really push this point.
    It's not that the ladies aren't working on tough technical material - they are. In fact they're working their ovaries off on some really hard stuff. But despite that, they are reminded to smile - the teachers (and dancers who have "made" it) know that "making it look easy and fun" is a big part of performing.

Bass teachers don't do that.
    At least, none of mine did. And at the time (until thinking about this) I would have thought it off-bass, off topic, and out of bounds for them to have done so.

But think about it - why not? It's not that what we do is more technical... (or if you think it is, you've never trained to a high level in any demanding form of dance...)

Smiling (unless you're in a death metal or punk or emo band or something) is a good thing. It conveys fun. It forces you to relax, and it changes your physiology in ways that encourage good playing and good performance.

Thoughts?

2. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Completely agree! I always try to play with people who make me smile. I always try to look like I am enjoying myself and catch myself if I am not. Its contagious and the result of that is the entire band looks like they are having a great time. The audience will enjoy it more. Nothing worse than a bunch of musicians who look serious on the band stand. No matter how heavy the tunes you can still have a good time.

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I love smiling. It feels like it gives off a good vibe. It's contagious.

4. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    It depends on the music. If you're in a pop or light rock band, then yeah it'd probably be nice to smile. For some the heavier stuff, I feel it's more about the feel. If you're in some sort of ambient tangent jam, I don't think it would be appropriate to smile. IMO you should just feel the music and do what you feel.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm usually making my "OH!" face when I play. I really hope it looks like I'm enjoying myself.

6. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Does this qualify as a smile?

OKTOBERFEST2007FESTMASTERBALL145.