Bass "faces" - who's got good ones?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Philbiker, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I saw the Dave Matthews Band in concert and I couldn't help but notice that Stefan was making some of the same "bass faces" that I make when I pley. :oops: I wonder are there universal "bass faces"? Who makes funny faces when they play? Does your favorite bass hero? Do you?
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Gary Lee!:D

Bill Dickens makes some pretty nasty faces when he's playing.
  4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Sam Rivers tends to do that "stare down the camera" trick and after a while its kinda scary. Ryknow from Mudvayne pushes his lips out, like he is about to kiss someone. People just do it because it relaxes their muscles or tightens them and they can concentrate better.
  5. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Claypool makes some pretty goofed up faces. Watch the Rhinoplasty video. I love it when, during Tommy the Cat, he flips up the lenses on his shades. That still busts me up every time I see it.

Anyway, heres my weird face.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    More or less. Not that impares me digging the guy.
  7. hard to beat that face! huh brendan!
  8. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    ummmm, yeah. none that really come to mind, just go crazy and whatever comes to mind i do, it helps to relax if you can do something else while playing.

most of the time just stare at the singer till we both laugh, hehe.

9. *big grin*

Not a bassist, but he sure is into it...
  10. I know this is getting silly, but I couldn't leave out the Peartmeister...

11. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    oh man... I hate rush :D

I stick my tongue in my cheek sometimes when I play, or I move my mouth to kinda "say" what I am playing.
  12. I think Sam Rivers looks like an idiot when he does those "I'm psyco look at me" faces.
  13. Figures, you were the guy who said Ricks were stupid and ugly over in the Basses forum :p
  14. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    jason newstead- chi cheng. but chi just closes his eyes, he looks in "pain".
  15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Again, not a bassist, but Steve Vai is the king of playing faces. You could watch a video of him playing with the TV mute on and almost know exactly what is would sound like.

16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Beefcake -- GWAR
    Jason Newsted -- Echobrain

I usually only make "weird" faces when I'm jamming by myself. I'll be thumping away (at my bass, you perverts) and suddenly realize that my face is all pursed up, like I just sucked on a lemon...
  17. Anyone ever catch a Karma to Burn show? Their bassist stares into the crowd with a serial killer kinda smirk on his face and creeped me out big time.