1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass facts/ stories needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TMB, Apr 29, 2009.

1. TMB

TMB

Nov 25, 2008
    Hi, hope u lot don't mind me posting this but i wondered if u would mind sharing any facts or little known stories that i can us in a quiz which is being run for a bunch of very enthusiastic bass, guitar and drum students. They are pretty clued up so the more obscure the better!!!

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Not incredibly obscure, but recently came up here so it's the first that came to mind.

Why was the precision bass call a "precision" bass?

Because unlike upright basses, it had frets which made every note precise.

3. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    That's interesting. So why are Jazz basses called Jazz basses?

4. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    A good bass history question that most people here probably know but may be good for a test.

Leo Fender (The "Father" - though not inventor - of the Electric Bass) started not 1 but 3 companies that continue to exist today and his designs and ideas are still reflected in the basses these companies sell today. What are they?

Answer;

a. Fender (Obviously)

b. Music Man (Started years after he sold Fender to CBS)

c. G&L

5. Because the different body shape, neck shape and pickups were thought to be more suited to jazz playing.

6. there was a recent opinion that I hadn't met before: the renowned offset Jazz body is a bass version of the Jazzmaster guitar that appeared shortly afore. It was intended to provide better balance for jazz players when playing seated, the instrument being placed on the knee. Hence both names.