Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass & Family

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PaulL, Jun 30, 2001.

1. PaulL

PaulL New Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Does anyone have any advice for someone who is trying to balance playing music with raising a family?

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm definitely in the same mode. Toss in an important job that requires travel, often international, and you have my life. Here's what I do.

1) Get yourself a Pockit Rockit (@ $60) or preferably a Korg Pandora's Box (@ $180) and a set of good headphones. You'll be able to practice in any room in the house. Pandora's Box also gives you choices of drum tracks and metronomes and can plug in another device, such as a CD player.

2) Have at least one guitar stand in every room you're likely to practice in. You'll need to be able to put your bass down in a split second when the blood-curdling cries of "Daaaaaddddeeeeee" are piercing the air.

3) Get a small (50 - 75 watt) practice amp for when you get tired of the cans. I keep mine in the room with my computer.

4) Learn to get along with very little sleep. Often times my practicing can't seriously start until after the kids are in bed (@ 9:30) I'll practice 'til between 11:30 & 1:30 am. I have to get up at 5:30, sometimes 6. It's worth it.

Peace,

James

3. junior

junior

May 6, 2001
    Austin, Tx
    I have two girls, ages 3 and 7. I have bought them cheap beginner guitars for about 40 bucks each. Now when I practice, they strum their guitars. Makes a lot of racket, but they love it. And It gives my wife, who is a stay at home mom, a chance to get some time to herself. I taught the 7 year old a couple of chords and then 3 year old plays one note at a time. On occassion I can get them to play the same note and chords as I practice scales. We sure aren't the Partridge family, but it helps take away the guilt for practicing and it introduces music to them at an early age.

4. That's a great idea, Junior. I've had my 5 year old bang away on my old drum kit now and then. Definitely gives you some interesting rhythm ideas, hehe.

5. It's easy.

Your wife works at a good enough job to pay the bills and buy you new equipment for your birthday, Christmas, "I love you" special occasions, etc...

You stay at home all day and practice until the kids come home from day care with your wife at 5:00.

I know of several musicians for whom this arrangement works quite well.

"Music IS my job, man..."