1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Farts on certain notes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by A Rock, Apr 29, 2010.

1. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    My amp distorts when I play a D note but then is fine with other notes. Does the fact that distortion occurs on certain notes mean that my cone is ripped?

2. What are you playing through?

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's not unusual for the driver excursion to be at a maximum, and therefore resistance to farting out at a minimum, at a certain note, with more headroom both above and below that note. It does indicate that you're probably at the limit of your speaker's capacity.

4. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    For me last month, it was a C or C# and I thought that same thing and immediately starting looking for replacement speakers.

It turned out to be a very minor problem that I never heard anyone else mention ... the speaker connectors had oxidized and was creating some kind of interference just within the frequency range of the notes. I wish I could explain it better, but I'm not a techie at all and just relating what the repair guy explained to me.

I'm glad the tech I brought it to was honest, since I just told him I needed two new 10" installed, but he said he'd do a full diagnostic since he thought maybe it was an air leak or crack in the cab.

So I ended up paying $75 mostly for his time and a couple of shots of anti-oxidant spray, but that was better the the $200+ for replacing the speakers.

I've played through the cab constantly since then, and I have no problems whatsoever. Speakers are 100% fine.

That was just my experience ... it could be the speaker, crack in the cab, or what I mentioned. My bet though, not knowing any other details, is that it is not the speaker.

Edit: My speaker (or at least one of the 2X10's) was distorting even at very low "practicing by myself" levels, and never play at max volume so even though I was surprised that the speakers were shot ... which, of course, they were not.

5. You may also want to check that the speaker is not tightened down so much that it is slightly warped and the voice coil is rubbing. A possibility.

6. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    I am playing through an Ampeg 2x10 combo rated at 220W.
    EQ was flat, Volume and Gain a little less than 50%.

Thanks guys!