1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass finish rubbing off on clothes!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LyonsBass, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Hi all

I just finished making my own custom bass, I stained the wood with proof tints and got a beautiful natural wood grain look to it. Similar to the Warwick style.

Though I have a massive problem, the finish is rubbing off on my clothes!
    Is there any way I can stop this? Such as Beeswax or specific style sealants? I want to keep the natural non-gloss look though.

2. Pics or it didn't happen?

3. It's just a gold/brown colour that's rubbing off onto my jeans mainly. Do you have any ideas on how to stop it?

4. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    could it still be leaching? You may have to rub on that body more.And it may leach off stain for a while. It happened to a table once and after a month or so of rubbing the surface it seemed to stop leaching off the excess. Just sayin. I been wrong alot before. Hope those wern't 7 jeans 200 bucks a pop is hard to swallow.

5. Bimmer696

Bimmer696

Mar 18, 2013
    Play naked?

6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Clearcoat sealer? If you like feeling the grain you could use a very thin sealer that will not gloss it over.

7. I'm thinking a clear coat varnish/sealer. Along those lines...
    It may just be my best bet.

8. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    If you leave the pigment stained surface without a clear coat or sealer, the excess pigments that are not embedded into the binder, will be loose and can sluff off. You can rub the surface with a rough cloth like a piece of old jeans or burlap, to help get rid of the loose particles. After more use, the surface may get a little more sheen, but still a natural look.

9. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

You may also want to ask the question in the Luthiers forum.