Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass finish $$?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Ok.. so i was playing my bass at school today, and when i broght it home, i pulled it out of the car, then when i closed the door part of the door lip caught my bass and put a nifty little dent in it... abut 1 centimeter long. anyway, that really pissed me off for the day. So, its an ibanez, oak, with a clear finish... really pretty. luckily the dent is on the back, but now that i dented it like that... its going to stay on my mind until i fix it.

So, what should i do? take it down to a shop to have them finish it? would they have to completely strip off the finish and refinish it? and about how much would it cost? i called a music store that fixes instruments but they never called me back, so ill probably take my business else where. but first i'd like to get your opinions and how much you guys think it'll cost. there is a couple little (un noticable scratches unless you get really close to it) on the front. so, how much would it cost, and what would they do to it to fix it?

-thx! .. this will remain on my mind till i get it fixed :(

2. You're talking a couple hundred bucks (or more) to pay somebody to strip it, fix the ding, and refinish it.

IMHO...leave it like it is, and relax. It's gotten its first dent. So now the second dent won't be as painful. Keep playing it until there's a hundred dents.

3. *crys...*

I cant stand it though!!! WAHAHAHA!

why didn't god make basses invincible?!

:crying: :bawl: :meh: :scowl: :( :mad: :bag:

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    trust me, leave it as is - its on the back, and it'll cost way too much. plus refinishing the bass can alter the tone. Dings on basses are a fact of life, we try not to get them but they happen. Heck, they add character, make your bass easier to identify if it gets stolen, and give you stories to tell. Just look at victor's bass with the finish worn off from him playing it!!!

6. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    see? i told you there was a story in there for ya!!!!!! :p

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Um...because there are bass cases? :eyebrow: Was the thing even in a gig bag?

At the very least, if you aren't even carrying it in a heavily padded gig bag, even if you are "really careful," you are bound to ding it up at some point. Especially if you go around closing car doors on it. It sounds to me like it was inevitable that it got dinged, so I'd accept it, and move on.

8. yeah. I wouldn't worry. If it was a high end boutique bass, then you would have something to worry about. its a part of life....

9. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    hey, look at it this way. There are dudes who spend big money to have those dings put in their guitars before they buy them. Just look at the Fender Custom Shop Relics. :p

10. heh

im so sad... and to top it off, i had a gig tonight, but it was canceled! they ended up getting someone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Probably because you had that nasty-a$$ ding on your bass!! :D

Seriously, dings are like scars... Signs of a life lived! Even well cared for basses, if they see stage time and use, will acquire their share of nicks and dings... I've had my '78 Musicmaster for 2 1/2 years now, and I can claim a few of it's many blemishes... To a mark, they've all occurred when I've had it in my hands... Not a single one affects the way it sounds!

-robert