1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass finish?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringsOf4, Apr 6, 2006.

1. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Hey I'm kinda sick of the black finish on my p, so I was thinking about a refin. My first thought was to take it to my local shop and getting it painted white. But then I really wanted something not may others have. So, I was thinking of sanding off the finish myself (80 grit paper?) and getting some minwax stain. I want a darker warwick-like color (dark brown). Would the stain have an adverse effect on tone? What else would you recommend and what, if anything, should go over the stain? Minwax makes stain + poly in one can, is that a good option?
    Thanks

2. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
  3. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I've stripped a couple Fenders, and it can be a real pain to get that poly finish off. If you use sand paper be careful not to open up the neck pocket. Using a high quality stripper works better, and you won't be accidently removing any wood. A product called 4F4( I think that's what it was called) works pretty good, but it still takes time. Use rubber gloves and be in a really well ventilated area. This stuff is nasty! Stain won't hurt anything, but I'd recomend agianst any kind of poly finish. Stewart-MacDonald has an instrument quality, Nitrocellulose laquer in a spray can. This is supperior to Poly. It's a little more expensive, but worth it IMHO. A few coats, using # 0000 between coats will look nice. Buff it up after the last coat, and I think you'll like what you see. The whole process is a pain in the A#$. It's not something you can bang out in an afternoon. Even with the stripper, it still takes a while.
    Hope this helps some.

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    This should probably be in luthier's corner, but until it get's moved, I will offer a comment.

There is a reason that your bass has a black finish. The wood underneath most entry level instruments with solid finishes is usually not matched for grain or color. (Virtually all instruments under 1 grand have multi-piece bodies)

This kind of body will take a stain, but will look very irregular, as the differing grain and wood pieces absorb the stain differently.

Raw pbass bodies can be had from mightymite for around 1-150 dollars on ebay or elsewhere, and sometimes even less. They will usually be matched fairly well (better than a MIM pbass, but not as nice as a warmoth body) and will come out of the staining process looking more even colored. Then you can sell your fender body (here or on ebay)and you will probably make nearly what you paid for the replacement body.

5. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Very good advice. And you'll save yourself $300 worth of aggravation trying to get the stock finish of that Fender. That's a much better plan.

6. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Hey, thanks for the quick and useful replies. Maybe I will go with the new body, I chose the darker color because i knew the wood wouldn't be pretty, but i do want to see some grain. Selling the old body is a great idea too. Are the mightymite bodies pre-drilled for everything?

"""Stewart-MacDonald has an instrument quality, Nitrocellulose laquer in a spray can. This is supperior to Poly. It's a little more expensive, but worth it IMHO. A few coats, using # 0000 between coats will look nice. Buff it up after the last coat, and I think you'll like what you see."""

I'll definiately have to check that out. I know it will take time, but a summer project will be very cool.
    Thanks alot guys, any other comments, keep 'em comin'!!