Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Finishes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kaijo, Jul 17, 2005.

1. kaijo

kaijo

Jul 17, 2005
    Hey guys, got a question. I love my bass (cheap piece that it is), and I wanna do something to the finish of it, cuz I don't like the shiny black look. So I was thinking about running some sand paper over it, just enough give it a dull look. Yea, I'm too lazy to do a full refinish.
    I was wondering if anybody could tell me if it might do something to either directly damage my guitar or make it more vulnerable to oil and grease and stuff. I'm not sure if roughing it up would give that crap more of a hold on my guitar.
    Also wondered if anybody had done something like that, and what it looked like.
    Right, so if somebody's got some info, that'd be cool.
    Thanks
    Kai

2. catdriver

catdriver

Apr 19, 2005
    Park City UT
    hmmm sandpaper and a glossy black finish... I'm seeing the outcome as a scratched glossy black finish. Why not, if your serious about this, have it broken down and have some one shoot it with a color/finish that you like? It can't be that expensive a proposition. One would think that a scratched black finish would get old real quick, unlees you're trying for some sort of retro punk rock look.

3. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I'd have to agree. There's a lot of info on the net about removing guitar finishes and refinishing, and it's really not that hard to do, if you have the right tools. You can even buy spray paint at Home Depot/Lowe's that dries "matte" (aka dull). Put on some no-gloss poly and you're good to go.

However, if you lack the necessary funds and or patience to do such a thing, get some 120-ish grit sandpaper and swipe it over a small, not very visible part of the paint (try in the belly contour...if you have one). If you like it, great, do the whole thing. If not, consider the aforementioned method again.

And don't forget, electronics don't like dust!

4. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I'd agree with the test patch to see if you like it but I'd use 1000 grit (wetsand) for a more even look.

5. Sand that gloss black off, YUK!

Apply a couple of coats of gray automotive primer...

NOW THAT'S PUNK!

don't forget the stickers!

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    1000 grit is techinicaly a "polishing" grade.

try something a little corser, or try liquid de-glosser, available at most hardware stores.

7. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Just go buy yourself a MusicMan SUB Stingray or Sterling - matte finish included for no extra charge! ;)

(...and they're pretty darn good basses to boot. That always helps.)

8. kaijo

kaijo

Jul 17, 2005
    Thanks guys. As far as a test patch goes, I was gonna take the pickguard off and sand some underneath it to see what it looks like. Is there any reason why that would be a bad idea?
    And, you're right, dust and electronics don't mix. What should I use to cover em up?
    Automotive primer isn't a bad idea :p
    P34<3
    Kai

9. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Sanding under pickguard...very clever idea, never occured to me :cool: Try not to sand near the screw holes, you don't want to throw anything off balance. You can cover your electronics with about anything that won't allow dust in...I've even used plastic wrap in some cases :eyebrow: Tape down the sides to be positive that nothing creeps in. Blue painters tape would be good for this sort of thing.

I agree with pasdabeer and incubus, 120 grit probably is a bit too harsh for this. I'll suggest 320-400 grit as my second bid, see if anyone else has something other to suggest. Good luck with it.

10. I'd agree with this. While 1000 grit is considered a polishing grit, it's more lie a pre-polishing paper. Certain polishes would bring out the gloss after the sanding. I think hitting it up with 1000 grit will just take away the gloss, without giving it obvious scratches.

....And certainly, test-area first!!!