1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Flanger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steamjohn, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Thoughts on a good one? Any Good/bad experiences w/any? Both MXR and Boss calim that their flangers are for either guitar and/or bass. What do we think?
    Thanks.

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    My fav is the Boss BF-2 Flanger. It has lots of range, can get subtle to jets landing and lots more. Here is a bass video I made with mods for it as well:
    http://youtu.be/-My1pdsGy3o

3. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    I still miss my old A/DA flanger. Best I've heard on low freq's.

Somnambulance likes this.
  4. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    I love my dod stereo bass flanger. Just plain awesome.
    I did enjoy the source orbital modulator. There were some cool sounds in there

5. Was the Bf-2 the brown one that came out in the 90's? If so...I had one . I can't find it anywhere though. And yer right...it was cool.

6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia

Bf-2b is the brown one, made specifically for bass. It's more subtle than bf-2 because it keeps low end intact. I had it, it's ok, too subtle for me and I prefer phasers anyway.

7. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Modded BF-2B is what I have. I had it made true bypass and some circuits replaced to make it pretty much dead silent. It is more subtle but I only use it on slower tunes so I like how it retains the fundamental over other stuff that gives you more "effect".

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    BF3 for me.

9. Mooer Eleclady. Great sounds, no noticeable low end loss, and how can you beat that price?!! I used to have a TC Electronics SCF, and the Mooer runs with it for a fraction of the price (and size!).

10. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

May 4, 2013
    BIG flanger fan! Way underused effect in the world of bass! More pedal builders need to get on the stick and make some sick bass flange!

My favs are the Boss BF-3 and the tc electronic Vortex flanger. I'm a huge Boss fan though, I actually have 3 BF-3's right now (gotta have backups for your backups! pm me if u wanna buy one of em cheap lol!) for under $100 you cant beat te BF-3 and its built-in tap tempo. But due to the Toneprint technology, I'd say in the over-$100 range the tc Vortex is hard to beat. You can make the toneprint do ANYTHING.

11. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

Mar 3, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Boss BF2 (cheap) or Maxon FL9 (expensive). Both sound great on guitar or bass.

12. David Beers

David Beers

Jan 2, 2013
    California
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    I agree, just take the effort to find an older BF2 as they seem to sound better (are the new ones using dsp? Does anyone know?). I use the Maxon, and love it. They're not all that much more... It's a great sounding flange. All the Maxon stuff is great, including their envelope filter, which I use as my main env filter.

The really old MXR flangers (the sideways grey one with 4 knobs that has a fixed cord to plug into the wall) also sound great. That's all bucket brigade goodness.

13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Totally agree with adamsmatthewj, I own both the BF3 and the TC vortex. They both offer something different and they do their jobs in spades. I love the BF3 for the tap tempo, the gate, which can be used as a choppy type trem WITH the flanger and just the plain versatility of the the pedal. It has me to straight woosh. Hard to beat. I've never tried the BF2 but I want to, I hear it awesome and very pronounced. Which I personally like in a flanger. The TC is awesome too. Very visceral and clear, deep and vibrant type flange. The toneprint is a huge plus as well. I used to have an MXR bass chorus deluxe that I used as a flanger. While it was a night, warm and analogue feel, it was too durable for me. It got lost in my bands mix. Could never hear it. I'll probably hold on to and be quite happy with the BF3 and TC for years to come. Great flangers.

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It was too dark for me I meant.

15. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj

May 4, 2013
    Yup that gate/trem/flange jam is the best!!!!!

16. The Line 6 M9/13 ADA Flanger model is pretty awesome. The low end can totally envelop a room with the right rig and sub combo.

17. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I currentlty have a TC Vortex with the Gayle Ann Dorsey toneprint...very cool Flanger...but I also really like the MXR M-117r...It's just got a cool more old school vibe about it...great sounding flanger...I'd love to get another one of those...

18. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Another vote for the BF2. BF2 is analog, BF3 is digital (I believe). BF2 sounds great, no low-end loss, no disappearing in the band mix and they can be found for relatively cheap. I got mine, in pristine condition, from a local pawn shop for $40, but they can be found for less than that.

19. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    There's a BF2B in the classifieds right now worth looking at.

Also I forgot to mention the EHX Stereo Electric Mistress.

20. I haven't tried the Boss BF2, but I have the BF3 which I love. If the BF2 is as good as I have read, keep your eyes open for it! Justin Chancellor from Tool uses the BF2