Bass FlyRig V2 at a gig - NOISE

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bonecat, Mar 5, 2022.

1. Bonecat

Bonecat Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Michigan
    So I decided to take my BFRV2 to a gig last night. I like the compact form, the convenience of the tuner/mute, and I’ve found some effects settings that don’t suck. I hooked it up as a pedal: Bass->BFRV2–>Amp. I’ve done this in the practice space and it worked ok.

Set everything up at the venue and started my usual warmup/room check. And there was noise - all of the buzzes, all of the time. Went through each link in the chain - not the bass, not the amp, switched cables, and then finally took the BFRV2 out of the chain. Silence. Ahhh….

Disappointing debut for the BFRV2. Used the supplied power supply, all of our power cables are grounded, no noises coming form any part of the system.

I’m going to try to tweak things this week, but this doth not bode well, methinks….

2. theduke1

theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I have found that the more neon signage a venue has especially close to the stage the more noise they will generate. I have heard that neon pulses, but at a rate the eye can’t see. But if you look at it through a piece of glass or mirror you will see it.
    So it may not be your fly gig at all?
    Also if the buildings wiring is old that may also be an issue
    Good luck
    Duke

3. Is there any chance your gain, comp or high knobs got cranked while you weren't looking? I was playing guitar through my board recently and I always crank the gain and raise the treble on my 5f6 when I do that. At rehearsal later that week I thought the noise was because I added a new pedal, but I just hadn't fixed my settings. It took longer than I'd like to admit to sort that out.

4. Bonecat

Oct 22, 2005
    Michigan
    Venue is new with maybe the best electrical service to the stage of all of the places we’ve played. Stage electrics are separate from lighting circuits. Room is large with incandescent lighting. No noise from from anything else on stage - guitar amps/pedals, wireless mics, wireless IEMs, PA…. My settings looked unchanged from prior rehearsal use.

Kinda stumped - Gotta tinker with it some more…

theduke1 likes this.
  5. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    The fact the the pedal worked as it should in another location and now doesn't indicates that you should try your rig in a different location. Also did the noise go away when you turned off the volume on your instrument? Did you also have the XLR out on the unit connected to the PA?

Gearhead17 and Derek Williams like this.
  6. Bonecat

Oct 22, 2005
    Michigan
    The BFR was connected to my bass and amp via 1/4 cables only. Noise did not originate from the bass as it stopped when the BFR was removed from the chain. I run sound from the stage and mixer, bass amp, and our wireless IEM and mic rigs are stacked in one place. This is necessary due to the small stages we play on and cabling limitations. This has worked flawlessly for years - adding the BFR was the only difference. BTW, the venue has excellent stage power - multiple circuits, consistent grounds, lots of outlets that tested fine.

Right now, my suspicion is that the BFR may have been picking up RFI from the wireless systems. If I can verify this behavior, it’ll make the BFR unusable in my situation as it’s not feasible to separate the wireless rack from my stage location.

7. tech21nyc

Aug 17, 2010
    Did the noise go away when you turned down the volume of your bass? Taking the Bass Fly Rig out of the signal chain is not the same as turning off your instruments volume with the pedal engaged. The Bass Fly Rig is a gain producing device. Engaging the compressor and SansAmp (at certain settings) will raise the noise floor somewhat. This is normal with an analog device. The unit must be gain staged correctly in order do achieve the best signal to noise ratio. It's doubtful that the wireless system would cause an issue.

8. Bonecat

Oct 22, 2005
    Michigan
    Understand - neither the volume setting of the instrument or the amplifier altered the noise. Sorry for not being clear previously...

9. tech21nyc

Aug 17, 2010
    You might be best off contacting us at our support email. The easiest thing to do is try the pedal with your bass amp in another location. If there is truly something malfunctioning it should always happen. Stuff happens at gigs. Our bass player always use the DI out of his amp to the FOH. Every now and then we will get a buzz out of his DI for no apparent reason and we end up using a DI box instead of his amp. It can be difficult to troubleshoot an issue at a gig. There are too many distractions.

Bright Midnight likes this.