Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass for a 3 year old?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by J Vlaming, Jan 23, 2004.

1. My son has taken to grabbing my old beater classical guitar and trying to play it lake a double bass - just like Pop! So I was thinking that perhaps I would try to get him a small cello and set it up like a mini-bass. Have any of you folks tried something like this before??

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Never seen such a thing, but that doesn't mean it isn't a great thing to try.

I don't know how big your three year old is, (mine is only 38" tall) but I would think even a cello would be kind of big. Maybe a 1/2 cello?

If you think he could handle something in the 30-35" string length range, you could use EBG flatwound strings on it and it should tune to pitch with fairly comfortable tension. If you have to go with a shorter string length, maybe try picking up a 5-string set and using the B,E,A,D tuned E-A-D-G. That ought keep them from being too flabby.

3. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    How about a 1/4 size bass ?

4. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Or a 1/10 ?

5. What are the dimensions of a 1/8 or 1/10th?? Thanks!

6. Here's a site that has the dimensions for the Andreas Zeller line of basses including 1/8 and 1/10th sizes.

Zeller basses

7. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    Now that you have the sizes if you're ever interested the answer is yes I do have 1/10 size basses.. as well as 1/4 size .. not sure if I have an 1/8 size though. I'll look into it.

8. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hello and welcome to talk bass, If you are interested in all or some things bass I'm sure you will love it here as well as all of us do. A very community minded place on the internet. A word of caution though, historically TBDB has not been very hospitable to those whose sole intent is to sell something. I notice that the majority of your posts seem to lean in that direction. You might be better off contacting people by PM or e-mail if you feel that they might be interested. Of course you run the risk of being perceived as spam in that case.

9. Mark Corben

Mark Corben

Dec 28, 2003
    Devon UK
  10. My private instructor is a cello player, and his 'beater' cello is a full size cello which was once converted to a bass for a beginner. It has bass machines instead of pegs on it, and always gets double looks.

just a tidbit.

11. Again, check the search feature....We had several threads on the jazz bass/cello players that have made records tuning a cello like a bass and using it as a solo instrument. People like: Ray Brown, Oscar Pettiford, Red Mitchell, Percy Heath, Sam Jones and on and on! I think it would be a great idea for a kid!

12. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a five year old student who uses a cello that is as big as a bass his size would be, and just tuned the cello strings like a bass, it works pretty well, but had some pretty nice cello strings. I think it is a 1/4 size and he is not very tall, but it is bigger than if he was playing it as a cello, because I didn't want him to get bad habits by being able to reach too many notes. His hand just reaches from teh a to b on the g string with 1st and 4th finger.