Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass for a Metallica cover band?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stanger503, Jun 15, 2003.

1. hey i was wonderin if anyone is in a metallica cover band..if so what kinda basses do u play

:bassist:

MetallicA

2. MetalliNO!

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I play in a band that does some Metallica covers on occasion. I play Jazz style basses. I never try to emulate anyone's tone if that's what you're getting at. I just play with my desired tone. Newstedt's (sp?) tone was good but, while he was a good player, Burton's recorded mud tones don't do much for me. That was his thing. Whatever.

4. i think im gonna get an essex bg-205 i think its waht its called...would that be good for metal and stuff like that?

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    While I've heard of Essex on this board I really don't know anything about them or that particular model. I've never subscribed to the idea that there is one bass for a particular style of music. My thoughts are if you like a bass, you'll like it in anything you'll play.

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    theres one on bassgear for $100 if that helps.

7. Hell, I use a stingray for Jazz, Metal, Punk, Funk, and Rock. Certainly it doesn't fit some of these styles like some, but why would I want to emulate when I can bring my own sound to these styles?

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I used a Ric to try and immulate Cliff.:cool:

9. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I know the perfect bass to emulate their new stuff......the Air bass, so light, you can hardly tell it's there at all!

10. kutz

kutz

Mar 19, 2003
    Orange County CA
    It doesn't matter what kind of bass as long as it's black.

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

:D

Brilliant.

12. i know alot of people dont have essexes...o yea thanks for the replys.anyway..i know alot of people dont have essexes but if theres anyone that does could u put a sound clip on here...thankya foks

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ibanez Soundgear or Ernie Ball Stingrays are great.

Newsted used $3500+ Sadowsky's through $1000/pc Ampeg SVT stacks. You will never match his tone.

14. thadood

thadood

Jun 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Get an Aria Pro II =)
    I personally don't try to emulate his sound. You can be close, but never dead on. Besides, you're not in Metallica, so you don't have to sound like them.

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Does it really matter as long as it's loud? Make sure it's a black bass. Newstead uses Sadowsky's. I think Cliff used Aria's :D

Rob

16. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    cant mess up playin a good ol' P-BASS ! better than an essex,cheaper than a stingray.lots of low end. ANY QUESTIONS ? :bassist:

17. I heard he made his basses waterproof because he sweat so much lol... (BTW, that's not just funny, that's supposedly true).

18. It is true. At least he and someone from sadowsky said so in BP April -96

(Don't ask me how I could remember wich issue)

19. I am thinking you have a tatoo on your arm from a drunken stupor that says "Newstedt said waterproof BP Apr 96"

Or maybe you just have a good memory. I am leaning towards the former.

20. no kidden.i understand that ill never match it.i dont wanna match it,but i wanna get close.cliff used and aria pro,alembic,and a ric 4001.jason uses sadowskys.rob uses tobias,fernandes,and mm's.i think its pretty cool.and as far as that air bass goes,u can shove it.im sick of hearing these stupid things.all i wanted to do was see what people are playin for metallica,not who can make the funniest joke.im serious,theyre not.thats obvious.and they probably dont even play bass as it is,just want to.any way i do have a pbass but i dont like the sound so i wanted somthin different.but i do want to get a 5 string.and no not a sadowsky(i mean yes i do,but not quite within the price range)or a music man.i just want a good ol bass i can count on that doesnt cost me 1000 or 3500 or 4500.