Bass for a pro player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  2. Man, that is the ugliest bass I've seen in a while!
  3. i wonder if you require a licence to drive that thing
  4. a licence or deadly weapons certificate, however much i want a 6 or 7 , and that think was the last on the earth, i'd rather stick the C on with tape and hope there was no fret buzz

:) :) #
  5. prolly more a deadly weapons licence or sumfen

that makes my crap heap of a bass look like a gem!!!
    that bass prolly sounds the best and all but damn its ugly i might send a picture of it into

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    From everything I've heard, Kenneth Lawrence is an absolutely terrific luthier.

But that is butt ugly. Graceless, cluttered, and inharmonious.

I wonder how much of that comes from Lawrence and how much is the original buyer's insistence on what he (thought he) wanted.
  7. You guys think that bass is ugly? I think it looks pretty cool.
  8. well let me put it this way

if i had a choice between that and my

Prince (have u even heard of that brand lol) P bass

i would defenitly choose my bass

that bass is juz plane ugly!

ud be doing a gig of say 2000 people and by the end of the night ull have a hole of 2 people cus of that thing hehe.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Actually I didn't put it here because I thought it was ugly or pretty...I thought it bore a striking resemblance to this:

10. do thiose things have on bored chuck buckets? lol

i dont like that all kinda techy looking stuff on basses
    im happy with a plain old jazz body
  11. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    the body shape doesn't look *too* bad, but all the other clashing elements make it look awful.

actually, it looks like something John Entwistle might play... if he were drunk.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

$5k reserve....Not me.

Lawrence was easily the highest of 7 bids on my custom, so I think the buyer is paying too much for name. I'd get my own $5k custom, not a hand-me-down.

If the pics are pretty faithful representations, the cosmetics aren't that great. They tuning gear casings and keys don't shine but look like old nickels.
  13. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I'm with pastey on this one, it's not too terrible. I wouldn't pay what they are asking for it, but I would accept it as a gift. Which reminds me my birthday is right around the corner... March 13th :)
  14. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Very anime robot-inspired. But not representative of Mr. Lawrence's usual designs, which usually feature flowing, organic lines. I'm betting he did this as a commission. As for Mr. comment.
  15. LiL BaSS DuDe

LiL BaSS DuDe Guest

May 15, 2001
    Yeah, I would take it as a gift, it doesn't look that bad, but yeah, I wouldn't pay half as much for a bass as what they are asking for. Seems pretty ridiculous!

But, when I'm famous, I'll be spening 15,000 on basses (a new one every week ;)) and 1,000,000 for insurance ;)
  16. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    I was going to say the same thing. It looks like the intermediate step before the buzzard bass was spawned.
  17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    If I was gonna spend $5000 on a bass (which I wouldn't), I certainly hope it would look a little better than that. That is just plain ugly.
  18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Dude - You'll be alright. When you turn pro, you get the seller to exaggerate the sales receipts for gear and it and the insurance become a "BRE" (Business Related Expense) when you file taxes. :D
  19. I'd rather spend 5k on USA bolton Spector, a nice amp, and real life necessities than something that would give me nightmares.