Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass for Acid Jazz/Dub Bass/Trip Hop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Nov 20, 2000.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some of the rave clubs in the midwest are hiring LIVE MUSIC!!! for their Exstasy/Ecstasy-induced recreation. One band I play with does stuff appropo for this scene, Acid Jazz/Dub Bass/Trip Hop. Since the audiences for these things are typically in the thousands, our draw of the door plus guarantee is quite decent. So I'm looking for a suitable 5-string with lots of bottom, (I'm getting a Euphonics Rumble Seat for the subharmonics), and I'm considering a Rob Allen MB1/2, a Kenneth Lawrence Brase or a Lakland 55-94. Would like to hear from anyone with a bias towards/away from any of these choices. I know Talkbass has some Lakland owners. Thanks in advance.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-20-2000 at 11:36 AM]

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    ????? I thought the Rumble Seat was for quiet miking in the studio and also to give you the sensation of feeling the low notes when you sit on it. How are you going to use this for subharmonics?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

????? I thought the Rumble Seat was for quiet miking in the studio and also to give you the sensation of feeling the low notes when you sit on it. How are you going to use this for subharmonics? [/B][/QUOTE]

This particular group has two keyboards and synthesizers and some of the lower register Hz's they put out are pretty outrageous. I tried a borrowed Rumble Seat for grins, (what the hell, bass players weren't supposed to use distortion once upon a time). The sound guy miked with an AKG D112 and all I know is I liked it. I didn't have to sit on it, nor did the back of the room, to feel the lows. I know my 18" isn't spec.'d to go below 38Hz as is the Rumble Seat.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Brian is right - the rumble seat is a tool for where you don't want to project any sound away from the amp - so either quiet studio use or "orchestra pit" applications where you don't want the sound to spill onto the stage.

If you liked the sound, you'd be far better off getting another Euphonics Audio Cab/Amp combination which will actually project some sound forward into the audience and so that you can hear without headphones and "seat of the pants" ;)

EA cabs are noted for the huge amount of low end you get from a relatively small cab.