1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass for an absolute begginer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tiritos, Oct 12, 2013.

1. tiritos

tiritos

Oct 12, 2013
    Hi guys! I am beggining and I am not sure of which of these is better for me. Could you try to help me?

- Yamaha RBX 374
    - Cort Action
    - Squire Vintage Mid Jazz 70'
    - Sterling SUB

Thanks a lot!!

2. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    What kind of music do you like?

Which player inspires you?

3. JCheung

JCheung

Jan 25, 2013
    Herndon, VA
    Agreed with the above, the best place to start is to know who inspired you to play? What music and bassists do you listen to? What do they play? Knowing none of this my personal preference is the jazz in that group. But it may change based oh what sound you go for. Also remember a good bass amp will go a lot further toward a good sound so that should be a priority

4. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Ibanez gsr200 is best for an absolute beginner. The fret board is fast & comfortable making it very easy to play. Check You Tube for the Maxproud channel. He's got some very informative reviews of many good, affordable basses.

5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The standard, canned, but correct, advice - go to a store and get them in your hands. Is this list based on internet shopping or is it what's actually in your local music store? There is no one best bass for beginners, and no one best bass for any given style of music. It's VERY much a matter of what feels comfortable and attractive to the individual player. Some people like slim necks, some like round clubby necks... etc. etc.

Of the ones you list, I like jazz basses and VM Squiers generally, and I like Yamaha as a company overall, so I would gravitate towards those. But that's me, and your personal taste may vary.

6. remainthesame

remainthesame

Sep 24, 2008
    I always recommend a squier P to beginners. I know it wasnt on your list but I thought id throw that out there.

7. bw66

bw66

Jan 28, 2012
    Uxbridge, ON
    As said, put them in your hands and see how they feel.

My fav from that list would be the RBX.

8. MrBKerth

MrBKerth The Gypsy Bravado

Apr 20, 2013
    Texas
    Yamaha has some real gems out there but I'm biased to the jazz as my main instrument is a jazz. Like was mentioned earlier, just feel which ones right for you

9. tiritos

tiritos

Oct 12, 2013
    Well, I really like Flea, but funky also. The list is based in oponions of friends and forums. I played drums in some bands and we had always
    Fender P.

10. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    if you like flea, a sterling by musicman sounds like a natural choice, you'll enjoy playing if you can get some musicman sounds, which maybe you're udes to hearing...

11. tiritos

tiritos

Oct 12, 2013
    What do you think about Cort Artisan basses?

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Second vote for an Ibanez. Super comfortable necks.

Far easier to play, in my opinion, than many other basses.

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    impossible to answer what is 'best' for you, without more information .. a completed profile is the most important thing you can offer when asking for advice ... are you 12 years old, 20 or 60? .. do you have musical experience with a different instrument? ... do you $50 to work with or make 100K a year with an unlimited budget ... ??

.... you can go try out everything you can get your hands on and see what is most comfortable, but to do that you will probably need to buy new ... with that, realize that you will probably pay a little more than you should, but the bass should be able to be set-up a bit FOR you by the shop ...

... best case scenario, you know someone who plays bass, and they can help you 'walk' into it ... just keep in mind .. you dont need your 'ultimate' bass to get started ... exactly the opposite .. you just need something to learn the fretboard and makes noise .. put your money into knowlege/lessons/etc. ... and then in your journey when you know what you want/need, you can get it ... just find something comfortable for you to play, and then don't put it down ... challenge yourself, but have fun ... JMHO

14. tiritos

tiritos

Oct 12, 2013
    I think is not so difficult. I just know to learn. At last I bought a Squier Vintage Modified jaguar. Thanks for the help

15. Congrats and have fun with it! Post a photo if you can because we are sick and like to see basses.

16. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Whatever you choose, make sure that you throw $300 or more at a 'used' bass that's priced right! You will be surprised at how much bang for the buck you can get on the pre-owned market. Skip the ones that are overpriced, and land a winner!

17. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Am also just starting out, and I also got the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar. Am really enjoying learning to play this thing! Was also a drummer for quite a few years, and wanted to try something else. My hands aren't as young as they once were (not that forty sixteen is old) and the Jaguar just felt right.