1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass for beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Percygirl88, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Percygirl88

Percygirl88

Jul 16, 2018
    I’m buying my first bass second hand, I was wondering if I should go for a Yamaha RBX250 or a Samick (I don’t know the model). The’re both 4 string. Based on this info witch one should I get.

kittywithabanjo likes this.
  2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Doesnt really matter imo. Buy one and start to learn. If you fall in love with playing you’ll gravitate towards a better instrument

3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Any reason why you're choosing between just those two?

Nothing's more important for someone new to the bass world thsn trying out as many basses as possible, new or used.
    Other than that, you should find some info here from people who own the Yamaha, but the Samick owners are few and far between, I have to think.
    Does this mean they're bad basses? Not necessarily.
    Can you learn to play on one?
    Sure, if nothing's wrong with it, same thing goes for the Yamaha…that's why trying a bass is even more important than trying on shoes.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Without more info than that I would suggest the Yamaha, even their entry level basses are good quality. First NBD is always exciting! I still have mine 40 odd years later. 20180714_135050.

5. Yamaha makes a solid instrument that is often of higher quality than cost would imply.

Samick, I ninesly don’t know. I know in archery they are “okay” for the money but their entry level stuff doesn’t stand out in any way at all. I’d almost always choose something else.

foolforthecity likes this.
  6. @Percygirl88, welcome to Talkbass! Good luck with your purchase.
    Based on the limited info you’ve provided I would buy the Yamaha. But I agree that you can start on just about any bass, and once you get really into it you will gravitate to a better one, if needed.

If possible, play a few different basses, how do they physically feel in your hands? Does one bass feel better than another? If you have the opportunity, plug them in and see how they sound.
    Also, do you have an experienced bass or guitar friend/teacher who could assist you? Once you buy the bass they may be able to assist you in ‘setting up’ the instrument. ‘Setting up’ is making minor adjustments (if needed) to the height of the strings, adjustments to the bridge, or truss rod (sorry if I’m telling you stuff you already know). Also you might need to put on a new set of strings. Maybe there is a good music store in your area that would do a ‘set up’ and put new strings on? Some stores will do this for every instrument they sell.
    The instrument you buy may already be set up in a manner which suits you.

Best wishes.

7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  8. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I'd go with the Yamaha, but I would also look into getting a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass or P Bass.

zon6c-f, filmtex and bassliner50 like this.
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is the decision based on what's available in a local store? If so, good. Trying out in person is key. If not, go to a local store if at all possible and try some basses out. Something may look great online but just not feel right in your hands.

Otherwise, given a choice between those two, just on brand name I'd go Yamaha. They have a strong reputation for solid instruments at good prices.

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I'd go Yamaha because they are much more likely to give you value for your dollar. As a beginner don't worry about picking out a bass to last for the rest of your life. It's rare that a bass someone chose when they were a beginner knowing nothing will be the same one they'd chose later when they've learn more and played a lot more basses. The important thing is to buy a bass that feels good in your hands and plays well so it's not a struggle to play it. You want to learn how to play bass not how to fight with a poor one.

design and LieutenantLauch like this.
  11. chris7273

chris7273

May 28, 2018
    My mistake was to buy my first bass without trying it (online shop). Even if you can't play and evaluate the sound, you can at least feel :
    - the weight
    - the finish
    - the size of the neck vs your hands size

I don't regret my first bass (bought based on reviews and a lot of forum reading) as I will keep it (Ibanez SR500) but maybe I would have bought something else if I had tried some other basses in a real shop.

12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Welcome. The old guys will probably tell you that either one is better than their first bass. Either will probably work well, with the Yamaha being "better" maybe.

If you change your profile to list where you are located, the many hunting/purchasing addicts here will look around for what they think might fit your needs. Half the fun is the hunt.

In the beginning I spent way too much time doing bass related things when I should have been practicing. Please do not allow yourself to fall into that trap.

13. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Ibanez SR300E.

14. WoodyH

WoodyH

Mar 1, 2014
    You read my mind.

BurnOut and 4dog like this.
  15. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Find an ibby..good bang for your buck !!

BurnOut likes this.
  16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Between the two brands, well....it depends on what model Samick you're talking about. Samick basses aren't bad at all, they made basses for Squier, Epiphone - it's one of the world's largest musical instrument manufacturers (along with Yamaha of course).
    The Yamaha RBX250 only has the p bass pickups, so it may be limiting as to the tonal variety (I like the standard Fender P Bass mind you, but would take a P/J bass over it anytime) - if the Samick is the one I'm thinking of and is a P/J (has a p bass pickup and a jazz bass pickup), then I would probably opt for that.

As mentioned above, is there are a reason why you're looking at only these two brands as there are quite a few other brands and models that beginners usually consider such as Ibanez and Squier?

B-Mac likes this.
  17. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    When I first started I had an ibanez Gio and an Yamaha. I still have the Gio. I'd go to your local shop and play every single bass in your price range. Since set up can be changed, get one that you dig the sound and the look. Something you just wanna play all the time.

18. WoodyH

WoodyH

Mar 1, 2014
    Yamaha makes solid instruments. But as others have said, try a few out if possible. You can get a quality bass for a very reasonable price today. (Especially if you buy used)Since I’m not sure what style music you’re interested in, going with a versatile bass may be the way to go. As Yahboy mentioned, an Ibanez SR 300 series is tough to beat for the money. The sound is versatile, they feel comfortable, and have a slim neck as well. I hate to say it, but Guitar Center Used is a good place to find deals.

*Above all make sure the bass is set-up right. It can make all the difference.

19. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Problem with the entry level Yamaha, Samick and the Ibby recommended...is...no resale, you buy one, you own it forever pretty much. I have a Yamaha BB1024X and its just an awesome and highly underrated bass, so out of the choices above, Yamaha, but keep in mind, if you ever want it gone, it wont be easy. I might suggest a used MIM Fender Pbass, often around $350 for one in good shape...

MCF likes this.
  20. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

That's not really her problem. She's already said she's buying used, which is what some of us have always done.