Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass for funk poll Spector vs Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Jun 18, 2004.

Which bass?

Poll closed Jul 2, 2004.
  1. Spector Euro 4

38 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Warwick Proline Corvette

22 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Warwick Thumb bolt on

52 vote(s)
    36.9%
  4. Other (specify)

29 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wondering which one of these basses would be the best for funk. 70% fingerstyle , 30% slap bass. Kinda an upbeat tone, Stuart Zender ish? Something that has some growl but not overwhelming. Preferably warm highs, not too thin sounding. Want some punch as well, not all high mids, preferably some lows in there too.

2. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I have a Spector euro 5 that I love, but I had a Corvette 4 (not a proline) and it was a slappers dream.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea ive played all the Warwicks but ive never played the Spector Euro 4. I own a Spector Q5 though. The Warwick Corvette standard is nice, but i figure this would be the last bass i would buy for a long time and i might as well save up and get something really nice.

4. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Well I have a Tumb Bolt-on and am awaiting the arrival of my Euro 4 Neck-thru.
    I have always loved my Thumb, but, from playing Euro's, I think the Euro is going to become my main bass.
    I have never played a Corvette, so I cant be much help there.

5. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    Warwick makes nice basses. Last year I downloaded the user's manual for a Thumb bolt on and a Corvette. I was so psyched to get one. I went to the store the next day and played them and I made the 'mistake' of trying a Spector Euro 4. Man that thing was awesome, blew me away. I went home with it. Check one out!

6. Gimmie an ol' fender jazz :) though if i had to choose out of the three you listed i would go w/ the corvette.

7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Warwick all the way. My Corvettes and Fortresses are slap monsters. I have a Spector NS-2A that does the trick, but nearly as well as my Warwicks.

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I disagree with my fellow Fairfax hombre. I believe he also meant to say "...but NOT nearly as well as my Warwicks." I think Warwicks make good basses for metal and hard rock, but if that's not your gig, leave 'em alone. They're simply not funky. I'd go with a souped up Jazz Bass with passive Lindy Fralin pickups, like a Fender Marcus Miller or a Lakland Jo Osborn. If you want more low-end than those basses provide, try a Lakland 44-02 or 4-94. I also disagree with jive1 about how well Spectors work, he says they don't work well, I say they don't work at all :bag: .

9. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Musicman Stingray, RICKENBACKER.....see my signature

10. Of the three you listed, I vote for the Vette. Thumbs are great basses but not the best for slappin on (not bad, mind you, but...). You should check out the FNA Jazzman. Now THAT'S a funky bass.

11. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    If you're looking for the Zender tone then get a Warwick.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hows the Corvette FNA? And how much does the FNA jazzman run for?

13. The old FNA was cool but having the jazz pickup makes it easy to tone down the music man pickup's tone. I haven't found a style yet that the Jazzman isn't good for. I think they are generally priced about $80 or so higher than thumb basses, but that only applies if you pay full retail prices.

14. I love my FNA Jazzman. Nothing it can't do.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea id be buying used on a thumb probably. The spector and vette i might pay full retail for. This would be for at least a year or two though, im just startin research early because it would be the last bass i buy before i go to/finish college and stuff so i want it to be good.

16. I generally like spectors over warwicks, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion on that. I think you get better electronics with spector (never like the MEC stuff)

but you mentioned that you just started searching around for basses and in that price range there is a huge array of basses available. so you really should look around at as many different things as you can.

check out http://www.basscentral.com they have pretty much everthing, to give you an idea of whats out there.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea ive checked out other stuff some, ive always had a thing for Warwicks and Spectors, so they were the first thing that came to mind. Also kinda like the Stingray, but i dont relaly dig the fingerstyle tone, only the slap tone.

18. +1

I had a Proline but never got into it, guess I'm not a Warwick guy.

19. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Get the Thumb, im worried these things are gonna go out of production.. haha, i played on a FNA jazzman 5, the other day, it has a nice growl to it, but the humbucker is not nice.. it doesent go well with the front jazz pickup..

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    "...this is the return
    of the space cowboy..."

Growl not overwhelming??!?!? HAVE YOUR EARS CHECKED, Y'HEAR ME?

:p :D :D

I am very happy with my Corvette 6, but if I hadnt gone 6, then I would've got an FNA Jazzman 5...