Bass for funk/slap/alternative

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian Hall, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    Right now I play a Schecter elite 5, and want to find a $750-ish bass for playing slap and fingerstyle funk with a good tone for rock/alternative. I love the Schecter, except that the string spacing is just too close to be clean with slap. The D is impossible to pop; I just can't get my finger under it with the G so close. I need something with a fairly wide spacing, maybe even a bit too wide for most. I have to travel a good distance to get to a decent music store where I live, so could you point me towards a couple of brands, and their plus and minus points so I can plan a few trips to go try out basses? Lakland perhaps?? I used to have a Ibanez btb which was pretty decent(spacing and neck and all), but the electronics were horribly noisy and worthless for recording, so I had to sell it.
  2. I play a Yamaha BB1500A and I can get a great funk and slap tone if I want to and the spacing is about average and it shouldn't be too dificult to slap. Price is about $700

(I'd say the spacing is a tiny little bit wider than a standard Fender Jazz)
  3. The Lakland 55-01s look to have wider string spacing (3/4" like most 4-strings). Probably a good option.
  4. how bout a used Ernie Ball sting ray or sterling?
  5. why not get BTB but upgrade the electronics if you feel they aren't good enough?
  6. I second the BTB. I have a 405QM and it works for anything!
  7. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    I should have elaborated a little more on the Ibanez. The BTB that I had was the 515(higher end model) with mahogany body. It was the model that Ibanez released with their preamp and pickups, not the barts which is what they put in them now. I took it in to the studio(nice studio,$200,000 in equip. or so) and it sounded fine in the beginning, and the 2 9 volt batteries would be starting to go dead enough that your could hear fuzz within 15 minutes. After a certain point, the fuzz would not get any worse for several weeks, so I just ended up living with it. The engineer basically said,"get that f-ing thing out of here and get another bass ", being pretty irritated about me having to change batts every ten minutes for a clean recording(the particular bass was obviously defective). I took the bass in to the shop where I bought it and they opened it up and said everything was fine and that the studio was messed up. So, I said lets prove it. I grabbed three other basses from the store and drove them to the studio(I know the owner fairly well). All had active pickup sytems, all were dead silent in the studio, and showed no sign of battery problems. So I went back to the shop, and the tech said he still thought nothing was wrong with it and that I'm crazy or something to that effect, and that if I wanted to have anything done with it I'd just have to call ibanez and have them fix it. I called Ibanez and told them what was going on and the only response was that "It is perfectly normal for the batteries to wear down" In 15 minutes???? Bull****. The customer service guy I talked to was just a bit snappy, and said that If I wanted it fixed it could be anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months, and he couldn't give me any more accurate of a guess. That is with me trying to finish a record that has a deadline in a 2 weeks, and with only 2 out of 12 songs done. Right. So I basically say screw this, and sell the bass back to the shop for 2/3 of what I paid, told them that they can deal with the stupid thing, and went to guitar center and bought my Schecter, which is also *dead* silent in the studio. Other than that I liked the BTB, and I have never heard of any problem like that with any other Ibanez product, but after that ordeal, I just don't think I'll be buying from them again very soon.
  8. Or get a BTB-510WNF which already has Bartolinis. Personally I chose the Yamaha BB1500A over the BTB but it was mainly because of the price, both are great basses
  9. Listen

May 19, 2002
    I'm with this guy!
  10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah man, another vote for the used Stingray or Sterling. These basses are perfect for the style of music you play.

11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd go with the 55-02 or the used StingRay.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just get Funky with a P bass, for Pete's sake...these guys don't know what they're talking about.

13. Right now I'm having excellent luck with a G&L L-2500. The bass is versatile as all get out, and the slap sound is excellent (IMO) with my amp EQed flat. Finding a used G&L L-2500 for around $750 should be pretty easy. It's just another alternative.
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Funk+ everything else= stingray :)... well not according to everyone really.. but I play my ray 5 in jazz, funk, R&B, and rock and it suits me just fine.. finding one used for $750 should be a breeze
  15. Listen

May 19, 2002
  16. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I recently tried the new Yamaha BB605 which is equipped with the Nathan East style parametric mid cut and I gotta say it's a lot of bass for the money ($699 list price.) I really don't need another bass,but this thing is well made and has a lot of good variety in the sounds with that EQ and I would think hard about it if I were in the market.