1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Bass for jazz that is not a Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlosjrf, Mar 2, 2021.

1. carlosjrf

carlosjrf

Feb 27, 2021
    Hello!!! this may be a silly question, what is a bass that has a good jazz tone that its not a stereotypical fender type jazz bass? When I got my first bass i got a fender pj. I went to the store convinced i wanted a Jazz, but then i played it and wasnt convinced. Now im wondering if there is another option for a jazz music kind of tone. I try to search and the words "jazz" and "bass" always point to a jazz bass.

2. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Chris Brubeck = Ric

The original placement of the pickup on the P, which was intended at that time to sound like an upright, was a little closer to the neck than current P or J. The Squier CV '50s scpb has the pickup in that location.

EB and Hofner were designed way back then too, with upright tone probably in mind. Their neck pickups would probably serve.

But of course, upright tone is not required for Jazz. The above is just what came to mind.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Winton, Bonsist, 123Nil and 2 others like this.
  3. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Just play a bunch of basses through an amp and buy the one that sounds closest to what's in your head.

The idea that a Jbass can "only/best be used for jazz" and that no other bass can be? That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard. Any bass will do fine, as long as you're comfortable with its sound.

Bonsist, trickyric, sonojono and 7 others like this.
  4. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Some jazz bassists had luck with Yamahas and Ken Smith.
    Generaly, any bass guitar with single coils or burpy nasal bridge pickup should work.

sonojono, avi, cratz2 and 2 others like this.
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Fretless. :beaver:

6. Are you talking about Jazz as a tone usually associated with a bass or a tone that is useful for Jazz as a genre? If the genre, then what flavor of Jazz: Fusion, Classical/Fake Book songs, Gypsy?

Artman, PsyDocHill, Jazzdogg and 2 others like this.
  7. carlosjrf

carlosjrf

Feb 27, 2021
    Well, i guess both. I thought about my question a bit more so lets put it this way, if were to you play jazz, what other bass/pickup you would play that its not classic Jbass single coil? In terms of sub-genre, good question. i guess more modern maybe fussion jazz.
    I know that the amp is an obvious factor in the tone. That i want to get to also.

8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Godin A4
    They sound gloriously woody

Winton, Ggeorges, Lethgar and 10 others like this.
  9. carlosjrf

carlosjrf

Feb 27, 2021
    Jazz is something i never thought i liked until i got into bass, so im still learning. Maybe i have not done a great search but the jbass is what kept coming up and i though it was impossible that the jbass is the only one played.

10. carlosjrf

carlosjrf

Feb 27, 2021
    cool i'll check them out.

11. Let's see. Jaco played a passive fretless Jazz, Bunny Brunel's signature bass is active, fretless and 5 string with a humbucker at the bridge, Rocco Prestia played a P and PJ, Brian Bromberg's signature bass has electronics of his own design (preamp and single coils). Strings vary from stainless to nickels to flats and those are going to have a huge impact on your sound. Many Jazz players also kill on an upright.

So it really seems like you might consider removing the 'Jazz as a bass' part of the search and a bass you like, regardless of brand, probably with a pickup at the bridge and then work on strings and settings. My 2 cents...

MarkM13 and jimmyb like this.
  12. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Ken Smith, Roscoe..... and many others

bdgotoh likes this.
  13. Sean150

Sean150

Jul 18, 2018
    Saying the Jazz bass is to be used for Jazz is like saying a guitarist should use a Jazzmaster for Jazz. This may have been Leo’s original thoughts when designing them but it is more of a great marketing strategy (as you have found out) than a technical requirement. (FWIW hollow and semi hollow bodies are more popular for Jazz guitarists).

You can really use any bass for Jazz but I would suggest you look at something like the Yamaha TRBX or an Ibanez SR for a good, versatile, bass for Jazz.

E_Rock, wysiwyg248 and Inara like this.
  14. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Peavey B-Quad, maybe?

carlosjrf likes this.
  15. carlosjrf

carlosjrf

Feb 27, 2021
    Well, google algorithm sees "jazz" and "bass" and is not smart enough to give me something other than the obvious. Im getting good input all around, so i think i have an idea of the options. On to the amp search now.

Btw, that Bromberg bass is beautiful.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    LBS-bass likes this.
  16. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    jazz tone is typically the upright bass tone. meaning pickup close to the neck. Gibson EB0, Hofner, Yamaha are the first ones that come to mind with pickups close to the neck. But Gary Willis uses an Ibanez so there are really endless options to get a jazz sound, depending on what you are going for

carlosjrf likes this.
  17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    This is a jazz bass.
    Doesn't look anything like a Fender.
    51go-OLe-sk-L-AC-SY780.jpg

Winton, jimmyb, Artman and 3 others like this.
  18. carlosjrf

carlosjrf

Feb 27, 2021
    Was looking at those before asking but its reaffirming that i had a good idea.

19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    LBS-bass and HolmeBass like this.
  20. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Have any favorite Jazz music you like already?
    Know the name of the bass player?
    Search for Jazz music to listen to, with a bass player whose sound you like.
    Then you can see what he/she plays on youtube, or google around his/her name to find out what he/she plays.

Who are your favorite Jazz bands/players?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021