Bass for jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metallkasten, Sep 26, 2003.

1. I was trying some searches, and honestly the results were a bit overwhelming, so I thought I could start a new thread and get a more direct answered, talored to my parameters. That said and done...

I'm interested in a new bass, and would love something with a good jazz tone. This will be an upgrade from my essex '62 p-bass. First and foremost, I do not want a fender. Plain and simple.

I really dig sunburst finishes, and I'm shooting for a fretless, however I could do without if I need to.

My price range is $500-$850, so there's not exactly room to by a Ken Smith or Fodera. I was looking at the Skyline 55-01

Another thing I owuld like is a five string, I feel a little limited with a four.

Any help would be great. There are local stores to try things, but the only stores that have "name-brand" guitars are guitar center, and even then its mostly just Fenders and Warwicks, with an occasional diamond in the rough, so I can try and test basses out, but there is a good chance I couldn't. (If you know of any good place near me to try some, let me know!)
  2. ALSO, I'm not against buying used, but basses aren't exactly something I will buy used readily. Unlike amps and such, there are athstetic aspects that apply. I would prefer to buy new.
  3. Um...a jazz bass. 60's were a good decade for j-basses.
  5. Skylines are a good deal, as well as used G&Ls. They can both achieve a variety of tones.
  6. elbass

Aug 6, 2001
    San Antonio TX
    What kind of jazz are you thinking about? Different styles require different sounds, from traditional to contemporary. Personally, I'd look for something that can give you a variety of tones. What is it you don't like about Fender? If you could be more specific about that, it might help some of us steer you towards something you might like.
  7. New or used ?
    Yamaha RBX775 5-String
    Ibanez SR485 Soundgear G&L L-2000
    Warwick Rock Corvette
    DiPinto Belvedere BB1
    Fury 6 Quilt Sunburst

There are several makes to choose from in your price range!

;) Treena
  8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    actually the classic rock bass corvette is nice..flamed top. in sunburst yummy..they sound really nice too..

9. Did I say "get a fender"? No. Get a 60's j-bass knock-off, the Sadowsky Vintage series, for example, but that's well out of your price range.

For your price range, I'd say fender is the best j-bass, though.
  10. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    check out the conklin gt-4. i play mine in the high school jazz ensemble and it sounds great :bassist:
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Look into Warwick Rockbass corvettes... those are pure sex.
  12. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'd say Fender or Fender clone like the KSD?
    *edit* yes I did read the post but I'm just saying its one of your better options