Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASS for Life

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike lead, Dec 15, 2003.

1. My girlfriend left me yesterday, I left my job today, I Left my home(well, my dad invite me to left it:mad: ), I living at my drummer´s... No money, no girl, no car... Nothing... Only my bass and me.... And now???

HELP ME!!!! :confused:

Mike

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    you've still got the internet. all is not lost :)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this all sounds very "passive" - you're complaining about having no money - but say you left your job - err... but how do you expect to get money, with no job? :confused:

Only you can help yourself - what now? - what do you want to do? - it's up to you!

Nobody can tell you what you want and how to live your life...I'm afraid you have to take responsibilty for this yourself.

That's what life is all about.... :meh:

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

No Money? Get an income
    No Girlfriend? Polish yourself up and put youself out there.
    No Car? Take the bus or ride a bike until you can afford one
    Got nothing? Then do something.

Take a look in your role in this.

- If you keep on doing what you've done, you'll keep on getting what you've gotten.
    - Stupidity is to continue doing something that doesn't work and expecting different results.

Good news is, once you've hit the bottom, you have nowhere else to go but up.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Sounds like you can make a fresh start. Sometimes I wish I could start all over. I'm getting too old for drastic change and too many people count on me to be stable.
    Get a job first, car second, and the girls will find you. Most girls say they like guys that have their sh** together. Some girls like the hopeless types.:) Try for something in between.

6. Thanks for the answers...
    but i left everything cause I wanna play bass...
    I wanna be a PRO!
    But how??????

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    years and years of school and training, followed by years and years of being a nobody, followed by years and years of being a paid nobody, followed by years and years of being somebody, but really just a nobody with a name, followed by years and years of actually being somebody.

Then maybe, if you're lucky, you might get to be a "pro".

Basically, you can't just drop everything and become someone. It is a long journey that takes planning, foresight, logic, and TIME. You can't cut all ties to others because you need people to help support you. You can't quit everything and think that a dream pro gig is going to fall in your lap. It takes work. Lots of work.

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That's about right!!!

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The most reliable method I've heard of around here, is to join the Armed Forces...

Apart from that it's about being in the right place at the right time and having a lot of luck - that's apart from what people have already said - about a lot of work and effort.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Sorry to break it to you.. but you won't become a pro overnight.. You are going to have to have a steady job and Gig on the side, you have to have a place to call home.. being nomadic won't help... You have to have it all together before you can do anything else

I am sorry you left everything to be a pro... but just dropping everything except your bass won't get you much

11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    That would explain The BackStreet Boys.

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    you should now sing the blues :cool:

13. Listen to Nick, for he is the voice of reason.

If no money's coming in, how will you afford your gear? If you have no car, how will you get to rehearsals/gigs? If you really want to become a pro fast and (relatively) easy, go to a music school. If you don't want to go to school, get a job, and practice your arse off on weeknights and weekends.

14. Story of my life.

15. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Remember the words of Bon Scott....."it's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll"

since you got nothin to lose, hop on a Greyhound with your bass, and head to LA....if you are good, you'll find a gig there.....worked for alot of other rock stars!

hold on....you live in LA....quit yer whinin, and start playing

P.S....it can't be that bad, you own some Mesa cabs! :)

-Mike

17. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Honsetly? Does it really matter if your pro? I mean..I thought the point of music was to just have fun and be heard. Bass is my life, but im not going to give everything up to be a "PrO". That seems like B-S to me....seems like you lost out on being what a true musician is.

18. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    When I was younger I made my living playing music. I was always hoping to make it big. I probably should have gone to college or trade school but I thought I had all the answers. I never really went for it full on. I just kind of half-assed it so to speak. I got married at 19 which alone put a damper on the starving artist thing. So after 10 years of just getting by playing bass I decided to get a straight job and get the IRS of my back. Now I spend the rest of my life wondering what if. You know what I mean?
    Don't get me wrong I love the comforts of having a good job and a better wife:D, and a nice place to live, but I feel like I played it too safe when I was younger. Everybody's got a freekin story eh?

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well my baby left me yesterday
    And I ain't got no job
    I'm living at my drummer's house
    and he's a total slob

I got the blues
    Yeeaaaah I got the blues
    I got the I wanna be rich and famous with the minimum amount of effort blues.

:cool:

20. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    So is that the secret song?