1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass for long arms?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lareeh, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Lareeh

Lareeh

Jul 21, 2018
    Hi, I swapped my guitar to bass some months ago and felt in love immediately. Anyway, I've noticed that the stance of my instrument isn't too good. My arms are pretty long so I've been trying to find some famous bassist with similar body proportions. I found out that Trujillo plays with Corvette. I'd like to know is there any differences on bass guitar stances (the angle in which the bass rests)?

W0RiKfK.

P.S. I'm lefty so I can't just go into a guitar shop and try the basses since lefties are pretty rare.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Not quite as low as Trujillo tends to, but Jack Casady has always worn the bass low on the diagonal:
    e15b14f71430c3542c262dfed78947d8. Jack+Casady.
    maxresdefault.

3. Lareeh

Lareeh

Jul 21, 2018
    Yeah, I like to have my picking hand almost straight so I'd like to have it lower. Also, the neck should be closer to my body (tilt upwards) to be able to play better. I guess an upright-bass would be good for me!

This is the stance I need:
    robtrujillo.

Low84, gebass6 and bholder like this.
  4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    That would make me knees hurt like mad, but hey, go for it! Nevermind us grumpy old men! grumpyoldman. :D :D

alan davis likes this.
  5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    And if you've got really long arms, you need to get yourself one of these:

Quake.
    I bet Skip would make a lefty if you asked nice. ;)

knumbskull, mbelue and BadWithNames like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Not sure. That might fell good for your right arms, but your left is even more bent. I would think same angle, just a bit lower.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Pino Palladino is 6' 8" tall. I imagine his arms are pretty long.

A-208234-1459123871-5385.jpeg.

8. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have long Gibbon like arms. Nonreverse Gibson Thunderbird are a perfect fit for me! IMG_20180428_081807_763.

9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Gibbon Thunderbird? :D

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wayman Tisdale was 6’9” and Stanley Clarke is a giant too, and both would play short scales as well. You absolutely do not need a certain kind of bass or an unusual playing position to play a bass comfortably if you have long arms. Purposely trying to play like Robert Trujillo is likely just going to give you some sort of back issue.

11. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I hope you play metal cuz if not people might wonder why you're standing like that :)

12. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    The way most people do this is with strap adjustments and/or raising the elbow of their plucking arm to maintain a straight wrist. It's a good habit to have for avoiding carpal tunnel.

13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I don’t understand why long arms are an issue.
    We bend at the elbow and swivel at the shoulder. The “excess arm length” ends up behind the player.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    gebass6 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  14. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    Every (OK, most every) instrument I have has its own strap semi-permanently attached, because it takes me forever to find the right adjustments and position for each one. Once found, I don't like to change it.

People of all sizes hang everything from tiny mandolins to gigantic harp guitars on themselves with moderate success. I'd advise trying every permutation, and sticking with the one that's most effective for you. If nothing works, fire the drummer.

I'm happy to see that in a "long arms" thread, there haven't been any short arm jokes (so far).

Tom

eJake likes this.
  15. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thunderbirds, Explorers, G&L ASAT Bass, anything with a short upper “horn”.

Christine likes this.
  16. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    C6FFA09A-6209-4756-9B5B-108FF40102B7.
    Krist is 6’7” and that’s a boat anchor of a Gibson. I don’t know how anyone plays this way, but he has to have long arms to do it.

17. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    Be mindful as to where the top horn of the bass stops. The standard Fender type basses have the top strap pin at the 12th fret. Spector and Warwick designs have the top horn ending around the 14th fret. While it may not seem like much, it actually forces the bass to balance on the strap slightly to the left. You may find these designs comfortable if you wear your bass lower.

18. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    You don't have to have long arms to play it low. Case it point, Tatsu Mikami from Church of Misery. Granted he plays really high on the neck.

tatsumikami.

Madhouse27 and knumbskull like this.
  19. Alex Bass

Alex Bass Roy Batty Dreams

Apr 3, 2016
    Personally I always thought the way Trujillo plays was kinda gimmicky and to actual bass players it looks foolish. There is no reason to have the bass that darn low to the knees, it will eventually ruin your posture and adversely effect proper technique. I guess to a 13 years old it looks cool if that's the demographic your going for.....But to answer your question get a tunderbird and a long strap:thumbsup:

20. Alex Bass

Alex Bass Roy Batty Dreams

Apr 3, 2016
    Im sorry but that look dumb as hell:rollno: Jamerson is turning over in his grave to think this is what his ancestors are doing:atoz:

Low84 and Dominic DeCosa like this.