1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass for me? $400USD budget (won't be upgrading for a long time)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by choo5, Apr 19, 2009.

1. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    as per title... I have a $400 budget.

now the kicker on this one is iv promised myself this will be the LAST bass I buy until I have genuine need of a new one (ie: bass I buy is unsuitable for a working band / recording or something)

now heres the criteria it needs to meet:

* $400USD budget (I have budgeted $100USD shipping to get it to australia.

* nothing too "out there" in terms of body shapes, this bass -may- have to last me 15 years if theres no "genuine" need of another.

* atleast semi-versatile, I don't mind doing upgrades (that said I don't want something that I need to upgrade straight away)

I play most styles of music (no slap or funk tho) and i'm primarily a finger player; in a band situation i'd be playing rock or punk.

So far iv been looking at used fenders (bit overpriced atm), Ibanez soundgear basses & traben (those bridges are far too gaudy for me to live with im sory)

I have no issue buying used to get a higher quality issue, I don't care if its beaten to hell aslong as the neck ect is good.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Buy a used bass. Buy locally. With those two steps, you can double your purchasing power. Last but not least, save longer.

3. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    I like peaveys, not a fan of that shape though :\

used is good, local however... not so much, I always keep an eye out but given Australian retail is often easily 2x USA retail it makes sense to buy from OS.

as for saving more... I don't want to spend over $1,000 AUD, so I -may- be able to stretch my budget a little to ~$600USD + shipping in a week or so but im not sure I want to spend that much at the moment.

my $1,000 AUD (over $700USD) budget wouldn't even buy me a MIM P-bass here.

4. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    What are you planning to do with the bass, i.e. is it going to become your main bass? If so, in your profile it shows you already have 4 basses so I'd take Jim Carr's suggestion and save longer.

5. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass:
    # Around 300USD$ - Check!
    # Nothing too "out there" in terms of body shapes, this bass -may- have to last 15 years if theres no "genuine" need of another. - Check!
    # Atleast semi-versatile, I don't mind doing upgrades (that said I don't want something that I need to upgrade straight away) - Check!
    # Playing rock or punk - Check!
    # Looks sexy - Check!

6. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    whoops, time to update that.

girlfriend and I had a chat, my GAS was getting out of control and I was spending way too much time buying/selling instruments.

all of my basses except my MIJ Westone Spectrum are sold (I have a thunder also, managed to wiggle out of selling that one by gifting it to my father-in-law)

this will be my main go-to bass.

I should also specify I play through a crappy practice amp at the moment.

7. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    id look at used peaveys, you might be able to find a u.s. millenium in your price range, that gonna be the most bass for the buck, or SOMETIMES and this would be my choice, a used lakland 44-01 can be found for close to that price.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    If you`re planning on gigging, I`d definantly go for a new amp before I got a new bass.

9. caillean

caillean

Mar 2, 2008
    east anglia
    Have a look at the Traben - great quality bass with a good price tag

10. BassBob185

BassBob185

Oct 25, 2007
    Rocking Chair
    Buy 3 SX basses for that price.

11. slaerts

slaerts

Aug 3, 2006
    Just keep an eye here on the classified section or on ebay. Most shops wont send a bass overseas as they have contracts which stipulate the sale must not originate overseas. You will find a MIM P or J shipped for a little over US$400. You will be likely to get a squire or a entry level Ibanez. Not much more. (mim's are nice in my books though)

Have you tried posting over at ozbassforum.com ? There have been a few nice well priced basses listed over there in the last few months.

I'd also add if you want a bass to last you the next 15 years or so then you should be looking to spend a little more. A few hundred bucks more and you could jag a mia fender or atleast a hwy 1.

I've brought several basses in from the states over the last few years, pm me if you have any questions.

12. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    Signed up for the forum, iv been watching ebay and seen a few MIA / hwy1 basses go through (highway1 P went through today at $765, I didn't want to pay more than that for it though) I think $1k AUD is definately the far upper of what I want to spend.

i'v also had a look at MIJ fenders, there have been a few in my price range (there was a nice white/tort 62ri I missed out on :() but prices vary so wildly, I spoke to someone who imports from japan but he hasn't found any worthwhile deals lately unfortunately.

A working musos beater bass would be something good for me imo, my instruments tend to get loaned out and I move alot so light damage occurs quite a bit :\

the last bass I imported was a MIM Jazz a few years ago, from memory I paid <$400USD with shipping but it looks like prices have increased a bit now :( I would never have sold that bass but after a while the skunk stripe started migrating pretty heavily so I passed it along.

13. Halycon

Halycon

Mar 19, 2009
    There selling Warwick Rockbasses Corvette Active at musiciansfriend for $350 plus free shipping (I am not positive on oversea free shipping though.)
    They usually run for $549. And they have some good electronics.

14. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Schecter C-4 $389.00 out the door at most GC

G

15. +1

I'm really sold on these things. You could even just buy one and use the rest to put twards, or save twards, a new rig.

16. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    There are soooooo many options in your price range.

17. Troutdog

Troutdog

Sep 29, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Go buy a $300 amp and a $100 SX. This will get you going for awhile, then you can modify or replace the SX later when more funds become available.

15 years is a long time to declare that you will neither have the means nor desire to get another bass. A lot can happen to change your situation.

18. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You know, everytime I hear someone gigging a 400-500 Schecter, it always sounds good to me.

19. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    I got my LTD B-254 for around $400.
    5 piece neck-thru maple/walnut.
    Beautiful flamed maple top.
    Passive EMG 35's and an active EMG pre-amp. (9v, but you can extend it to 18v if so desired for more headroom)
    String thru/top load bridge.

It's pretty versatile and easy on the hands imho. They discontinued the model, so if you track one down you should be able to make an offer @ around $350-ish and snag it.

Good luck.