1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass for my birthday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Sep 16, 2010.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    My 16 year old son was asking me what I wanted for my birthday this year. Of course I told him nothing. Then he brought up my 50th birthday. He asked me if there was anything special I wanted. I said no not really. For my one brother's 50th birthday, my family bought him a New Les Paul Custom. So, I thought about it a moment and told him my "fantasy bass" - Dingwall Afterburner II, 5 string, Cherry burst with a maple board.
    Then he just looked at me and said "oh"...
    I know to never ask for something like that and I also know to never think or want my family to spend that kind of money on me.
    Anyway, so let's hear it - what would you ask for? Mod's-this could be moved to the off topic if you prefer.

2. a cheap but decent fretless
    my birthday lands on the lean months in our business
    so i usually make do with gettting nothing on my birthday
    DOH!!!!

3. tojge

tojge

Jun 11, 2010
    Belgrade, Serbia
    50th Anniversary Jazz Bass, obviously :)

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Sky's the limit? 1960-62 Fender Jazz w/ stack knobs.

Preferably in a custom color...with matching headstock...okay, it could be a refin I guess

:bag:

5. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    There's always the option of, you know, getting what you like, and then thanking them for their thoughtful gift!

6. highway one p bass with anodized guard.

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well, the reason I go so specific with mine is 1 - the fact that the ABII is not offered with a maple board and 2 - I don't want them buying me a multi-thousand dollar bass.

8. Something cheap you would use, my friend and his brother bought his dad a GSR200 ibanez for a backup/bar bass he loved it and was stoked his kids got it for him.

9. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I'll be 59 this birthday, so I guess that means a '51 P. Other than that, I could dig a Tony Franklin fretless.

10. Well,well,well....... We have very similar tastes. I would want a Dingwall 5'er too.

11. bobostein

bobostein

Jun 5, 2009
    A 2nd warwick rockbass corvette in Burgundy Red

12. I own it. Alembic Epic.

13. I have spoke with my girlfriend about this many times, I have asked for another Rickenbacker 4003 for my 50th & I'm 43 now so she has time to save.

14. I suppose my first response would be to ask about the price limit for the gift and decide from there. (Using a random figure, suppose a limit of $900 was suggested.) Even for my birthday, I really wouldn't mind receiving a used item as long as it looked/played as it should. I would also think about matching the amount myself, in order to get something $1800 as a gift.

15. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Well, if you're going to name a particular bass, that's a great one to name!

16. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    A day off from work, multiple sets of new bass strings, and dinner out sounds good!

17. Nothing fancy, just a brand-new MIA P-bass.

18. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Maybe you should just say, "A really nice bass."

If the family are canny enough to find a nice Les Paul, then someone knows enough to be able to tell what a 'nice bass' is. Then there's no pressure (someone mentioned a 1960 Jazz with stacked knobs....not easy to find), there's no $ amount on there, and hopefully someone will be able to gauge your personality against the bass (e.g. if you were a folk-head, and you got a BC Rich Warlock special edition it might be awkward!) .

A Dingwall Afterburner II 5-banger would stump a lot of bass players, let alone family.

19. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
  20. Catbuster

Catbuster

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    Custom ash bodied Jazz with a P/J set up, and seperate control knobs for tone AND volume for each pup.

Black N' Maple- Geddy neck- without a pick guard please. (Ahh.. I see a custom build in my future soon)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021