1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass for my son: Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar SS?? Where to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nardes, Jan 8, 2018.

1. nardes

Jan 7, 2018
    I’m looking for some insight / advice.

My son is 11. He wants to play bass. He already plays trombone. So, he has some basic music skills. He can read music / bass clef.

This weekend, I took him to a local Guitar Center to check out basses. It was immediately obvious that a standard bass was too big for him. They had one short scale bass in stock. It was a Jackson bass. Looking it up now, it looks like it was a JS1X in silver.

From a size perspective, this bass was fine. It fit him. From a style perspective, this bass was not fine. I could tell this was not the bass he envisioned playing. He wants a classic rock sort of vibe. But, it was great to find out that he’ll absolutely need a smaller bass.

Since he’s a beginner, we are looking at cheaper basses. I had thought a used bass would make sense, but finding a used short scale that he likes is probably going to be a logistical nightmare.

The bass he likes is a Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar SS. This seems to be a short scale bass. He likes the way it looks (which means he’ll be excited to play). I like the pricetag.

But, I don’t seem to see it in stock anywhere close by. Ideally, I’d like to pick one up. But, I’m not easily seeing one in stock locally. That said, I don’t really know if there are any other shops besides Guitar Center to look at. I live outside Boston.

Is this Squier a good choice for a beginner? Is this just an Amazon or Sweetwater order for me? Or should I have my son touch one of these before buying it?
    EatS1stBassist likes this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  3. jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    NJ or Pa
    It's very important you get him what he wants, of course.
    Guitar Center can order this bass in any color available and get it within a week. Order today, get it Friday.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Owner of seven basses - eligible for 44 TB Clubs Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    A second vote for Sweetwater. Also another vote to get him the one he wants.
  5. EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    There is also Zzounds online.
  6. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I'm a retired band director and the fact that he already plays trombone is a big plus. I think it is important to get a new instrument and get him exactly what he wants.
    EatS1stBassist and jd56hawk like this.
  7. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    I'm sure you can order it at Guitar Center and try it before you buy it. I've bought used basses from GC online and returned them to the store, no questions asked (I had to eat shipping in these cases, but I don't think you would, buying new). Call and ask!

Get the Jag!
  8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Not necessarily…

They pop up from time to time on Guitar Center's used database. You can either have it shipped to your local store or directly to your door, usually for about $20 extra. And if you don't like it, you can bring it back to any GC location within 30 days (or possibly more), no questions asked.

Just remember that there are several Squier Jaguars. The one you're looking for has a black-painted headstock and three, not four, knobs.
  9. Queue

Jul 5, 2013
    DC Suburbs, USA
    There's quite a contingent of SS Jag owners here:
    Squier Jaguar Short Scale Club Part 3

Those threads may be more than you want to digest. There are many happy SS Jag players there, some are kids. Probably the biggest complaint is that the stock strings are no good, and the bridge pickup is anemic. I like playing with flatwound strings, so the first was a non-issue for me. I tried the magnet mod on my pickup, which helped, but then I just decided to replace the pickups. This was NOT a necessary thing, I like to modify my instruments.

I ordered mine on Amazon without issue. For you, I think it would be better to go the GC order route, and get your son to try it before you buy it.

If you do get the Jag SS, Fender makes a nice gig bag that fits these nicely. Search "Urban Short Scale Bass Gig Bag". Amazon's price is currently $5 less than Sweetwater.
  10. nardes

Jan 7, 2018
    Thank you all for the input. My son is in love with his new black Jag.

I wound up ordering on Amazon. He wanted black and black wasn't in stock at GC. It has worked out fine.
    OllyW likes this.