Bass for Pic/Finger/Slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LimpChunk9, Sep 13, 2002.

1. LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    I'm looking for a bass that gives a good sound regardless of how I play it. I mainly use a pic but I want to play with my fingers and slap too. I love American Fenders so here is my problem.

The P Bass sounds good with a pic but it doesnt sound to good when played with fingers or slap. There isnt even a good place for me to place my thumb because of the slanted pick-up.

The J Bass sounds good when played with fingers but when it comes to a pic and slap, the sound it produces isn't just as good.

Perhaps its because I'm not much of a slapper but I want a bass that fits what I am looking for.

I've heard about Music Mans and have played a few over the years. I think its a great bass but not for the price tag of $1100 and up.

If anyone could just help me out with this situation, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Jazz bass is one of the standards for slapping. Perhaps it is the way that you set the controls, or even your technique that is causing the sound problem.

What is your price range?
  3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    G&L L2000

you can find them used for about $600 or sometimes less.
    They have a lot of different sounds and sound good with a pick/fingers/ or slapped (I do all 3 of these wih my '82 L2000).

4. LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    Nevermind the price range, if I find something I like, I can just save up for it.

I went to Sam Ash for a few hours last night. I played a MusicMan Sterling and it was fantastic. I liked it better then both the P and J Fender basses. I guess I am going to be saving up $1350 now.
  5. 2muchbass4u

Jul 17, 2002
    a house
    look for a J-P combo bass, charvels are good. ive played them on slap/finger/ and with a pic, they sound great! but there kinda hard to find. especialy a nice one.
  6. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    You can get one for waaaay cheaper used
  7. buickwaffle

May 7, 2002
    i own a music man stingray and have had it a few months. its great sounding any way you play it. you could probably bang it on the concrete(though i would not advise it with that kind of amazing instrument) and it would still sound good. i play many styles of music (ig jazz, funk, punk, alternative) and it sounds great anyway i move the strings. i strongly suggest saving for it, it's well worth it.
  8. LimpChunk9

May 8, 2001
    Bronx, NY
    To be honest, I actually played a Sterling the whole time and haven't given the StingRay a shot.

I know I've seen topics debating the differences in the past so I'm going to be looking for those.

I dont know if I should buy a used bass. I don't want one that has scratches or pieces of the neck chipped off. If I find a nice one, I know I'll think about it. I saw a practically brand new one in Guitar Center before for about 950. It was used but it definetly didnt look it. Another problem is that I still like Fenders so I'll probably be buying a used P bass or J bass. Mexican or American. I'm not even sure, I have to figure out my money situation first.

Anyway, buying an instrument like that really says something and it just might not feel right if I purchased a used one.
  9. How can you say a Jazz is not as good for slap? It is THE slap bass. Can you say Marcus Miller?
  10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun