1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass for pickups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Apr 1, 2013.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    A while ago I made two Jazz pickups with individual string coils.

WP_000157_zpsd0485b6f.

Kind of a half Wal pickup in Jazz covers. Each coil is wound 8500 rounds of 42AWG wire, two coils are wound cw, two ccw and with opposite magnetic polarities on both pair they are wired as humbucker. I tried them with neo magnets as well but I liked the sound more with a bit weaker ceramic magnets. Neos were a bit too harsh to my ears.

After some routing with concave and convex router sleds plus the usual sanding, sanding and sanding (I hate sanding hard woods, especially when they splinter easily) I have a bass where I can use those pickups. Bubinga and wenge nt headless with Hohner/Steinberger hardware.
    I went for Warwick fretwire and man it was a joy to work with. Very easy to level and polish, does not clog files or sand paper. I also routed two cf bars between 11th and 24th fret (just like Warwick does, only with steel bars) to keep the end of the fretboard straight.

P4010490_zpsf8c5651f.

P4010493_zps5923f339.

Sound clip at http://maihinnousu.net/s/19349

First bridge, then both, last neck.

I'll take some pics of the router sleds tomorrow. I made the sled so that I could use same parts for front and back routing by just reversing them. I used a long router bit that was made for routing aluminium and it worked out fantastic. Just a bit of sanding needed.

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I really like the tone. The bass looks nice as well. Kudos to you, sir!