bass for rock/hardcore

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeenyus, Jul 2, 2005.

1. :help: what bass do you think would be the best for this type of music... schecter omen,viper,or a tribute by g&l sb2... i have only had the chance to play the omen and would like to upgrade from my squier
  2. Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    This is just my personal experience here... but G&L's are awesome. I don't think I've ever played one that didn't sound good. Schecters are pretty good values too.

I happened to play a Fender Mike Dirnt p-bass the other day through an SWR combo that was on sale for $450. If I played rock regularly, that would be my choice in the bang for the buck category.

There's a lot of good stuff out there. Just buy what sounds good to you.
  3. It is to the best of my knowledge that most hardcore bands are utilising ESP Vipers to tear up those heavy riffs with...

4. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah true that, over here they use lots of em for hardcore
  5. Nope, thats metal that is

Most hardcore bands will be using either a P or J, or a musicman, i personally use an Ibanez EDA, but hell, im wierd

Hardcore is a form of punk, not metal for all you misinformed . . .
  6. Hahaha, that's a "funny" statement... "Metal" in my book, is White Zombie and stuff like that. Not these stupid little bands who run around on stage like a bunch of chickens with their heads cutoff, screaming pointless lyrics into a microphone... Pointless because you can't make them out.

See, this is why genres, are utterly useless, noone agrees on what type of band belongs to this or that genre, it sickens my to see Soil's cds in the pop/rock section at FYE... Pfft, whatever.

I think from here on out, we use bands to cross reference our genres...

Instead of a genre, list a few bands so we know what sound you're after.

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Threads like this make me feel old ;) However you can't go wrong with the GL's, in fact all of your choices are pretty decent. I think the best thing you can do is try them all and then pick the one that sounds and feels the best for you.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends on what you're willing to spend.

A good bass is a good bass, regardless of what you play with it. You'll see, for instance, Stingrays and Rickenbackers run through all strata of music because they're good basses, not because they're the genre axe of choice. I'd say it's a detriment to a bass to say it's suited for only XXXX genre.

If you're looking at an Omen, Viper, or Tribute, I'd wager you've got about $400 to spend here? Give or take.

My advice would be to save up a bit, and track down a Spector NS2000/4 or NS2000/5. They're discontinued, but pop up pretty regularly on the web (Talkbass, Ebay,, Harmony Central, et al), and are one of the best values going for a bass.

If neck through and slightly narrow string spacing aren't you bag, then I'd say the G&L Tribute, or an Ibanez ATK. Both are capable of doing whatever you want to do with a bass.

Or, if you're willing to step outside the norm a bit, JUMP on this:

Ibanez EDA 900 for a measley three bones. Probably won't last at that price, and they're great basses.
  9. sorry, i meant nu-metal and screamo (very closely related nowadays it seems)

And to Brendan's post, yeah, EDA's are good, keep the magnetic pup on all the way up, and the piezo at about 25% on and it sounds ace with a pick!
  10. Dude,go Jazz bass - you need an aggressive tone to cut through all the *chug chug* the guitarist are producing. Also,Dillinger uses Jazz basses :D
  11. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I like my Fender Aerodyne in basically anything I play. I would definately try a bass with a P/J setup so you have a lot of flexability.
  12. ya i was thinking of gettin a j bass...what are some other opinions on this
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    jazzwise id go with a Fender Geddy Lee signature jazz

otherwise id go with a G&L tribute.
  14. Well thats my next investement, ive been gagging for one for months now, the P/J setup would suit me perfectly me thinks, and the aerodyne is just sexy :cool:
  15. ya the aerodyne is pretty sexy and seems to have great reviews
  16. My band is always playing with hardcore bands around Dallas. I think one of the best basses for that style is the EBMM. Loads of punch, with enought tone to go around, and still enough bottom end to carry your band. I have seen them use just about everthing. I am not particularly a fan of the Jazz tone in hardcore. A nice P-Bass would sound nice, but IMO the EBMM is the prime choice for this. If you can't afford one, then the OLPs really aren't bad at all, and you can change out the pickup for about $100 if you wanted.

I think that going with a melow or "dub-y" bass would be a big mistake. There is so so much going on musically in hardcore that you have to do everything you can to not muddy it up. A bass with a good voice is really important.
  17. :confused: since i dont have that much money to spend i narrowed it down to the olp or the viper PLZ HELP ME DECIDE!!!!! :help:
  18. For Hardcore to me the best is a Music Man Sterling or Stingray, they cut through guitars like crazy!!!
  19. Yeah, Stingray, P, or J.

If your on a limited budget, get a SX "P-Bass" from Rondo Music and swap the pickup for something really hot like a Seymore Duncan QP or DiMarzio Model P and have fun with it!

You could do the same with a J from them too. They are quality basses for very cheap. Better quality than MIM Fenders and OLP in my opinion.
  20. A P/J bass might be a good compromise. Pure P tone might lack a bit of definition, while pure J tone might lack a bit of meat. A good P/J bass would get the best of both worlds. Check out the Fender Aerodyne. Also, soapbar pickups might be a good choice. Check out Warwick Rockbasses - the Streamer std has 2 soapbars.