Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass for ROCK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Feb 7, 2005.

1. What kind of bass should a player that is playing rock go for? I mean like Dream theatre, pink floyd, nirvana, to some heavier stuff like, Three Days Grace/some punk stuff?

Active, Passive?
    deep like a lakland, full like a P, attacking like a sterling?

I'm not technically in this band yet, our music hasnt started so it could very from Pink floyd, harder rock, to punkish.

I understand you want a P-Bass or music man thing for punk but what about the others? Those types are kinda deep, would a Lakland bemore suited to me than a sterling? SHould I look into a sub because it is passive?

2. P-bass with nickel roundwounds...passive...

if you want a pre-amp, get a good external with a DI (like a Sadowsky), it'll be a great investment

I believe this would fit nicely to anything that you may want to do in this genre.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    p-bass, good and fat tone :)

5. [​IMG]

My Precision, Badass 2, Basslines QP, a great rock bass IMO.

6. Also, a Jazz can be used for rock as well.

russjm, for a second there I thought that your bass had the trans brown(rootbeer I think it was called) finish that one sees on 70's Fenders once in a while. God, I wish they'd bring that color back. Sweet P anyways.

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I'd go for a P (sorry) if I were you. Jazz or many others will do it, but P will nail it quicker and more completely. Pink Floyd- passive P, maple neck, flatwounds with a pick.

8. can I ask why you guys suggest going passive? I thought the active only made it louder and gave it more power?

I can try a million fenders, we have a major fender dealer here... I am not a huge fan of the big neck and the fact that it is really sticky though. that is all i have against fenders.

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I would check out www.espguitars.com, if I were you. Their reputation nails them as rockers, but they prove to be quite versatile, in my experience. You should be able to tackle every genre with their designs.

10. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    not to hyjack this thread but that is a sweet looking Pbass. What color is that exactly?

Oh and to get this thread back on track......Ditto on the Pbass. I've got an MIA Pbass with a SD 1/4 Pounder in it strung with DR nickle roundwounds. mmm mm mmm.

11. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with a Rickenbacker, either. Gotta love that Ric growl . . .

Rics have a lot of bite that really cuts through. My only problem has been that the roundwounds on my '81 Ric 4003 have started wearing down the frets.

The Ric sho' nuff has got bite, though. I can get a great Chris Squire tone out of it; almost an "angry" sound. :D

12. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Why not just go to a few music stores and try out a few basses, and get the one that suits you best? There is no such thing as a "best bass for rock", or anything else like that.Go find one you like, and buy it. It's that simple. Any opinions expressed about the "best bass" is purely subjective. Happy hunting.

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    My son's band does a lot of Dream Theater covers. Their bass player uses Peavy Cirrus 6er and it sounds great. You won't need a 6er for other stuff you mentioned, but I don't see you playing Dream Theater with a 4 or a 5.

14. Not with the very original lines, but if you do some transpoisng you can play about anything (including the intro of glass prison)

15. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    that 70's "mocha" finish (dark chocolate opaque on the edges, lighter translucent brown front and back) was called "walnut" finish in the Fender catalogs (even though it was done on Alder bodies). I had a Tele Deluxe in that finsh ( got it brand new for Christmas 75!)

i think the dark edges might have been to hide the 3-piece bodies they were doing then :)

16. What do you mean by "big?" Instead of a P try a J- a smaller nut width.

Find a bass that feels good, sounds good and looks good to you- there's your rock bass.

Everyone's idea of a rock bass will be different- whether it's a Rick, a P or a J, or a Warwick, or a Spector, or a Thunderbird, or a Finizzle-

Shamray- I saw the ad here, and it wasn't til I saw your location that the name clicked. I saw a '54 style Les Paul goldtop that you guys did a few years ago. That is one seriously nice looking guitar.