1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass for sale ad: You can have the strings changed if you like.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MichelD, Aug 9, 2020.

1. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    An ad I saw today:

This Fender Jazz Bass was purchased brand new about four years ago and has been used less that 50 times ever! It works wonderfully, has no issues or imperfections. Has MINOR wear from use at the bottom of the guitar but could easily be polished away and look perfect! The minor wear that is there is just from general use and if not noticeable from the front of the guitar. The only reason I am selling this amazing guitar is because I have a shoulder injury that never healed enough for me to continue to play. Has never been dropped, has always been kept in a case when not in use. String were changed to FLAT WOUND in 2017, making for a softer touch and sound. Easy for you to get changed if you need the heavy metal sound many like from the bass! String have been used only 5 times, they are basically new! Installed at Tom Lee music.

AdeptBerry, bassb66 and Hummergeist like this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I consider that a selling point.

3. You mean you can change the strings???

4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    When I worked in the music store in the 90's I was initially rather surprised at the number of people who brought their instruments to us to be restrung. Nothing surprises me anymore.

5. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I was that guy...as a teenager.

I forget exactly why I started doing it myself. It was either that I realized it wasn`t that difficult and/or the customer service at that music store was THAT bad (maybe a combination of both).

6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I think a lot of people that came through just never realized it was something they could easily have done themselves. They were kids, or young adults, or parents of those people, who had taken a few lessons maybe and played mostly at home. Often they hadn't realized that strings wore out until one broke.

It seemed odd to me mainly because I'd gotten pretty much all my "training" under the tutelage of a fellow performing artist who had shown me all those things from the start. So it never occurred to me that not everyone who played knew how to do those things or realized they were routine maintenance things that were easy to do.

7. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I was this guy for quite a while as well.

It took me until my early 30s to realize that lighter strings and a lighter touch = almost never break strings (I have only had this happen once in the last 6 years, and I think this was due to the string itself).

the harp unstrung and LBS-bass like this.
  8. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    I'm still pretty new but I've never had someone else change the strings on any of my basses. It's easy, and it's a great opportunity to clean the instrument. In the swamplike climate here I'm sometimes inclined to change strings to clean it more than I am because I need new strings.

I watched my son change the strings on his three guitars the other day and wow, do we have it easy compared to them. Have to take off the back plate because of the floating bridge, the higher strings are like fishing wire, more strings to change (I only play 4s), etc. Piece of cake for us!

the harp unstrung and Guild B301 like this.
  9. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    I had an E string break on my plywood Stella around age 9. Took it to the music store because I didn't know any better. Thought maybe string wire came on big spools, so much per foot.

Tom

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have heard great things about getting strings changed at Tom Lee.

11. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    You know, at 9 years old, that was probably the best thing to do. To make a life-long customer, did they teach you how to change strings, or just overcharge you just because? Or did they just sell you the string and send you on your way, good luck! I hope they taught you how to change strings while they were at it, because we all had to learn somewhere.

12. I sold a bass on CL a few months ago. It was a bass that had lived most of it's life in the case under the bed before I bought it but it had REALLY old boomers on it and they sound very different to my ears from the boomers you can buy today. When the buyer came to pickup the bass I asked if he was going to replace the strings as soon as he got home - and of course he was - so I asked if he minded me taking them off. I put them on another bass and they just have something special about their sound. I'm sure he thought I was a lunatic (rightly so) but Jamerson would be proud of me for keeping them (legend is he once sent his broken string to LaBella to see if they could repair it)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  13. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Fretless with a pick Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    When I buy a new/used bass is the only time she’ll get her strings changed.

evar... don’t even boil em...

flats on fretted, roundwounds on fretless regardless of the type of music.

14. I worked the repair shop at a large music store in the 80's --- you would not believe how many customers would buy a set of strings and bring them with their guitar or bass back to my shop to have them installed ($15 minimum shop charge).

15. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Hilarious!!! Legend also says in the 70s Carol Kaye simply sold her P bass back to the shop and bought a new one when she wanted new strings. I wonder if it's true...

AndyPanda likes this.
  16. LedReign

LedReign

Feb 17, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Had me at “never been dropped”.......impossible to find these days...

the harp unstrung and McTred like this.
  17. The ad did not mention if it have ever been in a fire.

18. I didn't change my strings for the first time until I broke one. They were ernie ball super slinkys. They had been on my bass for close to 5 years. Never knew strings wore out.

19. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    Yes, the guy at the music store changed the string for me and showed me how to do it. Asked me how I broke the string and I said I'd been turning one of the knob things on the end. Then he explained that guitar strings are tuned to actual notes, and sold me a book, a little pitchpipe, and some really gaudy picks.

The guitar is long gone but I still have the book and pitchpipe. Those brick and mortar places were a real learning resource.

Tom

20. I think the seller is hiding something. Never been dropped, can change the strings to make this "The Best Bass For Metal"... I think the seller tried to "Drop Tune" this bass out of his second story window. The stings were broken so he put on flats to match the new shape of the bridge: flat. Buyer beware.

the harp unstrung and McTred like this.