bass for ska

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hesslich, Aug 6, 2005.

1. hesslich

Jan 12, 2005
    hello i am looking to buy a new bass and i am wondering what u guys would suggest as being a good bass for Ska
    thanks alot ben
  2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    any bass with a least two strings is fine :cool:
  3. Pthump

Nov 18, 2004
    people don't get it.. any bass CAN sound good in most any situation.
  4. I would say either a P bass or a Jazz Bass. I would go for the Jazz if I was you, cause you're bound to get really tired of Ska and you'll want some more flexibility.
  5. Sergio

Apr 7, 2004
    Lafitte, LA

Who else here has used a beatle bass for alternative-progressive-metal-emo-core? :rolleyes:
  6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Let's see here... The Specials = Horace Panter = Gibson Thunderbird. And there you have it. But seriously, like P thump said, any bass would sound good if dialed in correctly. Especially for Ska, you wouldn't need a zingy tone beast of a bass. A jazz bass, p-bass, T-bird would work. Now go pull out those old Specials records. :smug:
  7. ONE-TWO!

As it's been said... any bass can be used in any form of application, its your job to MAKE it fit, not the actual instruments.

However, since you want advice on what I'd choose, allow me to echo what has been said: A Fender Precision, or Jazz can be used in any application.

Personally, I dig Ibanez instruments as well as Carvin's, both are manufacturers that put out quality stuff at an affordable price... check out the Ibanez SRX500, or maybe a Carvin B4.

Good luck.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Within reason, you can use most types of basses, and I've seen a myriad of them in ska settings. The more traditional choices would be a Jazz or P, but don't let yourself be limited. I don't think that Warwick or Spectors lend themselves to the sound, though.

And to everyone who's made snide comments about Ska, you're all closed minded idiots. Ska has been around since the 50's...longer than most popular types of music. It also has some very excellent players, some of whom use 5 or 6 string basses to full advantage. Its got a long standing history, a diverse mix of styles and a wide fanbase.
  9. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    While I'm not a big fan of ska music, I did see a ska band in a local battle of the bands and the bass player they had blew every other one that was there away. It was pretty impressive
  10. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I've seen anything from a Stingray to an old 1960s Vox bass used for ska. Decide what you like and what cuts through the mix well. You'll probably want something that can muster plenty of lows though, because that's how you'll cut through when you have guitars, organs, and horns in the mix too.
  11. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    right here
    i used mine for two weeks of practice until my guitar player told me to stop goofing off. It was a metal band :bassist:
  12. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    yeah your basic fender P bass and Jazz bass would be perfect
    I use my P bass for just about every thing. its all about how you dial it in. i'd recomend a passive bass tho and also i'd stay away from the srx ne other ibanez is fine but yeah try and go passive
  13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

I think more important is finding a bass that feels good and sounds good to YOU. Everything else are just details, you can eq or change your technique if there is any problem with it fitting in the band. I've seen ska bands whose bassists' had F Basses, Schecters, even a BC Rich one time.
  14. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I'd go with the Fender Jazz. They always seem to work well for ska. A bit more pricy, but an Ernie Ball Stringray may be the sound you want.
  15. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Reel Big Fish's bassist Matt Wong uses a StingRay 5, and that sounds really good. I don't think it's really the bass though, but rather the bassist who's using it. So, if you have Matt Wong-esque chops, go for a StingRay.
  16. Dub56

May 28, 2005
    A Jazz or Stingray, I have both and they work fine for it. I'd also imagine a Pbass would work too. I'm a big ska fan, btw
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    With a name like Dub56 I'd hope you were, or...are a member of the Toasters.
  18. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I use a Tele/Scpb bass but a Precision and/or Jazz is also great
  19. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Why? I know a guy who plays an SRX in a ska band. Those are some fine basses.
  20. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    its not that i wouldn't recomend a srx for ska its i wouldn't recomend it at all. The ibanez srx has brought me nothing but problems. I thought it was just mine until i went back to the store and two other players with the same bass had already sent theirs to the shop for the same reason (bad eq's). Mine decided to drain batteries and the bass boost seemed to not work at all. one of the other basses pick up selector didn't allow the bridge pick up to work.

but i do still like ibanez just not the srx line they put out