1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass for slapping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rberry7777, Oct 30, 2013.

1. rberry7777

rberry7777

Feb 5, 2010
    I want to learn to slap and pop!

What attributes should the bass have to facilitate this technique ?

2. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    What do you have currently?

3. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    Low action relatively light strings 40-100 or 45-105 depending on how well the bass can handle them.
    Fender Jazz is the norm but any bass will work.
    It's just technique.
    Listen to Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten, Anthony Wellington for inspiration.

4. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I'm surprised at what basses I do better with... Since it doesnt sound like you have much experience going out and trying different basses may not help you.... but it very will might, so go out and start trying a few basses. Check out the string width at the bridge and up at the nut... The string width, height of the strings off the body top can make a big difference too. Of all my basses, my old Ibanez Roadster is the easiest to pop/slap. It has a bolt on neck and a lot of space between the strings and body.. so my fingers never get caught hitting the body.

Others probably have great options too.. practice and make sure you have enough space between the strings to easily get your finger between so you can grab and snap the strings easily. My basses with tight string spacing I jsut can't do it well... But that may just be me.

5. I'd say string spacing first.