Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass for tapping

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by konfishily, Aug 21, 2005.

1. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I know everyone is going to have their own opinion about this. But are there are any brands that are known for their tapping capabilities? Criteria are ease of playability and sustain.

2. That would be any bass that would make you attractive and irresistable to the ladies. :)

But seriously, most basses I've tried that are properly set up can be good for tapping, no matter what the brand - you'd just need to make sure the neck is fairly straight, the frets are level, and the string action is low to medium-low. Most higher end basses can be set up this way without a problem. On the mid to low end, Fender and Ibanez (yes, even them) can be pretty good for tapping. My Marcus Miller jazz bass sounds pretty good for that. I would also think that a maple neck will help in getting more of that percussive sound.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Why not get a Warr, Chapman Stick or some other model that is -specifically- designed for that technique?

4. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    What Captain Scarlet said.

Also having a flat fret board helps you move a little quicker.

One reccomendation for me would be Yamaha TRB. They have very fast fret boards.

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Because the typical Stick "inverted" tuning, not to mention the Stick itself is a whole 'nother beast both to learn and to play. As much I'd like to own one someday down the road, I'll be approaching it as it should be - a unique instrument that shares some features of a guitar and bass (and keyboard) but is none.

As for a specific bass, I think it has much less to do with the design and more with a good setup with little relief and low action as possible. Two things I'd look for are a larger neck radius and neck-through construction, as I've noticed that the "naturally EQed" sound of NT's work well with tapping, IMO.

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I agree that any bass with low action would be easier to tap.
    Active basses are also more sensitive, so that would help even more.
    I can tap on my Peavey Cirrus and Fender Jazz. MHO, it`s just a matter of proper setup, good pickups and technique.
    There`s no specific bass for tapping.

7. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I dont tap myself, so maybe you shouldnt listen to me, but thats only because I cant on my bass. I think the problem with my bass (ibanez edb600) is that the neck is kinda flimsy (maybe im wrong). Whenever I think I have it set up right to tap, I cant play it any other style because the action is too low and not even throughout the neck. What Im trying to say is make sure your neck is really strong. My neck is really thin, but perhaps a little flimsy.

8. Both Warr and Stick companies have 8-string models which can be tuned in ascending fourths like a regular bass.

My Conklin 8-string (tuned BEADGCEA), with its low, uniform action, is great for tapping... too bad I am not that great AT it!

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama