1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass for the driving 8th note brit rock style?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Visirale, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I thought "P bass" was going to be the easy answer here. But it looks like Adam Clayton of U2 uses mostly J basses. The bass player from The Verve seems to be using a rickenbacker now.

My current gig is definitely in this style, and it is not the strong suit of the sadowsky or my stingray. I even think I'll return back to 4 string for my next bass, even though it kind of feels weird now :(.

Any idea on what Oasis' "Wonderwall" was recorded on? That sound is fattttt!

But what would you all recommend for the driving 8th note rock music?

2. Wonderwall was done on Guigsy's single coil Tele Bass - same style of pickup as on the Sting basses.

Bear in mind that the sound has a lot to do with Owen Morris's production rather than just being down to the instrument.

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Is it at least a significant part of the equation? I LOVE the look of the single coil P basses... plus the MIJ reissues are pretty cheap. I am definitely not opposed to getting out of this for under $1000 :).

4. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Guigsy is, I believe, also known for playing with extremely high action and really digging in. I think he also played Trace Elliot V-Type equipment

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    IIRC, you could try Burns. Or just get a jazz.

6. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    Sorry I don't have any advice for the OP, but in regards to this comment, I did a recording at a studio in Cardiff and the sound engineer was saying that Oasis record their stuff using Protools (or similar software), then they play back the finished track through old-school valve preamps onto traditional recording tape and then save the final result digitally. Not sure if this is true or not, but I thought it was an interesting way of recording :)

7. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    You said the answer yourself... Or get the Aerodyne P/J for more options.

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    try the new Squier Classic Vibe!

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It smells like GAS around here.
    A Stingray or Sadowsky are more than adequate for such a simple job.

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I vote the new P5:)

11. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Well I tried a host of P basses and J basses and jaguars and all the traditional basses they seem to love... none of them sounded that impressive at all. I played MIAs MIJs MIMs and everthing. I guess it is all in the production.

I do like the MIA P deluxe a lot. I guess I use the active EQs a lot to get my sound. I think after I wire in my new pickup for the ray 5 (A nordy with alcino magnets) and keep on using flats that should definitely get me into the ballpark.

12. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, the American Deluxe P is an awesome bass, but think how cool a Ric would sound through that new rig. Ric and Mesa is pretty much the tone of the gods. So I hear.

13. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Haha I still haven't gotten to play a ric, but I LOVE how they sound.l. and look! I need to find a dealer close to me...

14. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Just run your sadowsky passive and it'll cop a great J-bass tone.

15. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I would think that any of the above-mentioned standard types of bass would sound just fine for Brit-rock. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Precision Basses, but my Jazz Plus V (Fender Lace Sensors, Kubicki preamp) works very well in that style (especially through my V-Type head and sealed 4x12).

The bassist from Smashing Orange used, AFAIR, a Rickenbacker through a Mesa 400+, and always sounded great.

And of course, a StingRay is a StingRay. It's hard to argue against a StingRay. I like the 'Ray much better than the P.

Any of these basses are going to sound great through your Mesa rig. I think it just boils down to personal preference.