1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass for tuning down to ADGC?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ben Johnson, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson Unapologetic Guitarist

May 2, 2006
    Chicago
    I'm a guitar player looking for a bass for my recordings that can be tuned down a full step from BEAD. I'd like it to be super tight and be able to take a beating. I won't be doing anything too fancy (mostly using pick & following rhythm guitars - no Wooten/Pastorius stuff here). I would prefer it to be neckthru, alder body, maple neck, and ebony fingerboard (but these aren't necessarily requirements - I'd just like to use the same woods that match my main guitar). I'm willing to replace the electronics with active EMG stuff (soapbars). I play heavy rock and metal and have a hot, overdriven SVT sound in mind.

Oh, and I'd like to spend less than $1000.

:)

2. UnderwaterGuy

UnderwaterGuy

Nov 18, 2007
    Umm... I do not think AGDC is a whole step down from BEAD, just putting it out there.

3. First of all, I think you mean ADGC

Second of all, here's a nice, cheap option. Rondo has a good reputation around here
    here

4. Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson Unapologetic Guitarist

May 2, 2006
    Chicago
    Oops:oops:

5. musicmedic

musicmedic

Mar 24, 2007
    You can find an ESP LTD B305 for way less than a grand. Already has ESP soapbars and active electronics, and it's neck-thru. It's a five string so just tune down a step and you're good to go. You can also get a B304 but you'll need to change the strings to very heavy gauge and you may run into trouble fitting the strings in the nut.