Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass for young girl

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rebelbass, Mar 7, 2006.

1. rebelbass

rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    My neice wants to play bass,I'm wondering about the daisy basses,30" scale or if anyone has any input on what a 13 year old girl will be comfortable learning on.

2. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I bought my son a Fender Mustang Squire and that was pretty easy for him to play. It's 30" and very easy on the hands. Now my son has switched to drums so it just sits on my rack. The good thing is the bass was very inexpensive.

Stick with short or medium scale until her hands start loosening up - she'll be playing a 34" in no time.

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    When I started I was somewhere around that age, a year or so younger. I played a lotus pbass short scale and that worked fine. Pretty soon I switched to a fullscale after my hands stretched out.

4. I'd personally vouch for a Mustang - I've got one and its got a pretty good/deep sound for a small bass (which is handy when I take a bass to college every day - saves me banging the headstock on EVERy doorframe I walk through)

Otherwise theres the Musicmaster or squier Broncio - never tried these but the bronco is a fairly inexpensive squier version of the discontinued Fender musicmaster. Theres a guy on here whose got one and it doesn't sound like a small bass at all...

Take her to a guitar shop where you know they'll have one and have her try it out, theres also the P-bass mini - but thats more expensive as its a MIM

5. macahan

macahan

Mar 22, 2005
    Karlstad, Sweden
    the fender hello kitty.. should be the one..

fenderhellokitty.com

6. what the hell is that...!? - Leo must be turning in his grave, he'd NEVER allow that!

7. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I'd get her a Cort Action bass. These are very small, very light basses, which are very easy to play and awesome to start learning bass.

8. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    SX short-scale Pbass or Jazz for $109 + shipping

I would bet a paycheck that it's easily as good as any mass produced short scale, possibly even better than the high-dollar fender mini-Pbass.

9. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah, especially since she'll probably outgrow in a year or so.

10. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
  11. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I totally disagree.

Leo would probably be rubbing his hands together and grinning about the prospect of new members to the Fender ranks ... and thinking of the Strats, Geddys, and AmJazzes that he'll be selling to these folks in a few years.

Given the way the instrument market is today (i.e. chock full excellent-quality, low-cost guitars & basses!) I think it's a brilliant move! :D

(That said, I think the SX short scales are the right move for what rebelbass is looking for.)

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The lead guitar player in my band has a daughter who plays bass, she's got a Danelectro 34" bass and it's no problem for her at 12, she's been playing for a few years. Looks great, too. For a girl that age the Daisy Rock basses are just too darn perfect. You've GOT to get her one! :)

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The little Hamer Slammer 30" scale is a decnt little bass I got my kids if you don't want it to look "girly". About $165.

14. the new squire hello kitty bass! its basically jus a bronko with different paint job!

15. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'd go with a regular scale bass, and ask her what she would like...simply because you may think that she'd want a short scale Daisy Rock or a Hello Kitty, when she may be emulating someone in particular and want their bass. If that's the case, then anything else might disappoint a 13 year old.

Also, if she learns to play a regular scaled bass, then there's no transition to worry about when she gets older.

16. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I don't think there would be a transition problem. If she can handle a full size bass now I'd go with it, if not get the short scale. I transistion from short scale like this, I stopped playing it picked and picked up one of my dads pbasses. There's not that much of a difference. When I pick up a guitar I don't have trouble because the frets are closer together.

17. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    The reason why I mention scale is because I hear of people having trouble adjusting from a 34" scale to a 35" scale. I play both scales during shows and practices, and I don't notice a difference either, but it may be something that you might not want to take a chance on.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think lots of the Daisy Rock basses are 34". A 32" medium scale Mustang was good enough for Tina Weymouth. :)

19. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    i started playing when i was 12 with full scale bass....but then again i was about 175-180cm tall then.
    if she is small then you should get a short scale SG or that hello kitty one(only if she likes hello kitty)

if she isnt then a SX P or a SX J is probably OK

20. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    I see I'm not the first to point to Daisy Rock... but this thread needs pictures! :D

[​IMG]
    Rock Candy, 34"

[​IMG]
    Stardust Elite, 32"

[​IMG]
    Heartbreaker, 30"

:) They're different!