bass friendly guitarists

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by conk97, May 16, 2005.

1. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    Im not sure where 2 put this but here seems like the right place.

Does anyone else play with a guitarist who has a bass friendly tone?

my guitarist takes ALL his bass out and boosts his treble and i Boost my bass 2 10. It gives a really good combo as u can easily hear the bass :D
  2. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

Stop worring about a bass friendly guitarist and start being a guitar friendly bassist. You make more friends that way. :p
  3. pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I wish the vast majority of the acoustic guitarists I play with would play with a meatier, less tinkly tone. Sure would make it easier to hear what they're doing and use them for an intonation reference when playing DB. I also think guitarists who can keep decent time when I lay out are bass-friendly.
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    There are three things that I really love about our guitarist:

1. He's one of the cleanest players I've ever performed with. Of course on a lot of the "shred oriented" stuff we do, you need to be clean. But he's even clean when playing more blues-based stuff.

2. He pays close attention to detail. If there's a harmonic that's played in a song we're covering, you better believe he's playing it (as much as playing in a single guitar band may allow you too).

3. He has great tone. He doesn't scoop out his mids, and I've never had a problem finding a good place to sit in sonic-wise, even when playing more crunchy stuff.
  5. Around here we have three sounds, the high tinny marshal hybrid distortion, the supper low crunchy distortion in a box that drowns a bass and the "my daddy bought me a dual rectifier amp so I can show off" sound thats so loud you cant hear yourself think.

Thankfully my guitarist doesnt subscribe to any of these sounds.
  6. kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    yeah my old guitarist used to turn his lows way up and it made everything sound muddy...i finally convinced him to turn them down a little and let the bass be the bass in the
  7. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, my guitarist refuses to listen to me when i tell him how to turn his amps knobs.

His tone is distortion on 10, bass on 10, mids on -10, and treble on 0. :rolleyes:

As a result, neither the guitar or bass can be heard :scowl:
  8. kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama seems like a lot of guitar players are doing that...trying to get a heavy sound that totally covers up the bass...the highs and mids are what guitars are for...i guess that's why the bass is hard to hear in a lot of bands that play heavy just sounds like one big just have to find a common ground between you and the guitarist...just's more about the bands sound as a whole...not how a guitar or bass sounds by itself
  9. I played with a guitarist like that once. Lots of bass out of his cab, a 4x10 or 4x12. And tuning apparently interfered with his artistic inclinations, so if we played the same note, you get the dreaded wow wow wow wow wow warbling cause he'd be consistently a little out of tune. He'd turn the low end down after I reminded him, but still kept happening way too often. I finally made sure he was on opposite side of the stage. Got tired of asking.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I dont even try to convice guitarists to turn their bass down...

I just crank my mids and highs...

Atleast I'm a growly mofo. :p
  11. MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    FIghting two guitarists I never had problems... they leave the full low range to me.
    One of them turned his bass WAY DOWN because he thinks his sound is 'to much nu-metal' if he turns it up more with ENORMOUS mids and nearly no treble
    The other has some bass, medium mids and maxxed trebble on his amp and uses neck PU with tone-cut at max to even it out (and still keep clinky trebbly tone but it makes it easier to distinguish both sounds)
    Which leaves me with a full lower range to play in (and I manage to EQ myself in to every little gap available. If I stop playing EVERYBODY WILL KNOW! Fighting two guitarist I will lose in a volume war so I will fight using my EQ... to great irritation of my guitarist who are losing the battle. Not that they care anyway because they actually like being able to hear everything I do so they can pinpoint all my mistakes :D)
  12. Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    I have a really good relationship with our guitarist. Our tones never clash...she uses a classic funky Fender Twin sound with lots of funky licks, and I use a very smooth bassy tone, and the lines we play just compliment each other and we never play over each other but rather with each other. Never any issues there. I'm lucky I guess!
  13. Actually, me and my guitarrist hit it off musically as soon as we had our first jam. in a way (but less skillfull) its kind of like frusciante and Flea. we always seem to know what the other will do, and complement that instead of fighting over the "lead". the result is great because its not only about tone, but what to play, so we are free to set our tone the way we like it, and you can still hear us both in the mix.

we have been in 2 bands together now, and honestly, if a new band member doesnt like his playing, I'd rather get rid of the new guy. this guitarrist works well with me and thats pretty rare.
  14. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I think Metallica sounds sweet. When they play distorted, it's like Highs and Lows on 10 and Mids all the way off, and then whoever the bassist is at the time cranks the Mids and it sounds really good I think!
  15. Well, my first and now #2 band features a fantastic honky tonk style keyboardist. If I can find room having to fight his heavy left hand, I've never found guitarists to be a problem.

If they are too bassey, I go a little more for an overdriven mid-range type of tone and cut through. There is always a way - even if it takes bashing your guitarist with your headstock and telling him to turn the bass down on his amp.
  16. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Here r my thoughts;

Starting gp's (1-5) - stay as far away from them as possible

Reasonably experienced gp's (5-10 yrs) - still a pain in the ass but they tend to listen to what's going on around them every once in a while

Experienced gp's (10 yrs +) - still a crapshoot but generally prepared to try and make the band sound 'right'
  17. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Both the guitarists I play with are quite bass friendly, both in their tone and their playing style. One just has a strong appreciation for bass, and the other is the son of one of this cities finest jazz bassists.

I lucked out. ;)
  18. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The people I play's amp has like no bass output on his amp...and the other person, I'm kinda the sound guy so I EQ her acoustic with a little more bass...and then theres me with a lot less treble and more everythin else...0.o
  19. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have a great relationship with our guitarists. One is a jazz guy and he loves to play bass. They both leave room for me and want to hear the bass lines coming through.

They are both accomplished bass players so they will at times drop an idea on me to make the bass line have more definition in the song. Great guys to work / play with and learn from.

Works for me :D
  20. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    It's all about where the instruments fall in the freq spectrum. If a guitarist has his bass boosted it just creates MUD because the guitar and bass share frequncies. It's o.k. for the bass to boost treb and mids because all it does is add cut and definition to the tone when used properly. But a guitar should have boosted mids and treb and just enough bass to add depth and thickness to the tone, not produce bass freq.