1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass-friendly OD w/dry blend... Soul Food, Sparkle Drive, Pork Loin?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MarshallLaw, Jan 17, 2018.

1. I've got a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 Tube OD that's been my always-on workhorse for a couple of years now. It's a great little pedal, especially for the price, but I've been lamenting its lack of a dry blend lately.

I'm hoping to upgrade, and I've been looking at these three:
    EHX Bass Soul Food - this one is leading the pack, mostly due to the reasonable price, compact enclosure, and a brand that I trust. All of the demos I've seen sound great.

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive - I've heard lots of good about this one, but I can't find any decent bass demos, maybe you guys can help with that? I know Voodoo Labs makes quality stuff, and the price is decent (even comparable to the Soul Food if i go used). I just can't seem to find a quality bass demo, or find the pedal locally to try myself.

Way Huge Pork Loin - Sounds great, but I don't know that I can justify the price. I'd probably go with the new Pork & Pickle, because I could use a Russian style muff as well, which might make the price worth it. But being twice the cost of the Soul Food makes me hesitant. Is it worth it?

I'm open to suggestions as well. I'm trying to keep it under $150.

2. Yeah, it's about $20 over your ceiling, but the thing just amazing.

It will never come off my 'board.

3. I'm flexible on price if it's worth it. Especially for something that's more hand-built boutiqueish.

4. zapped777

zapped777

Jul 6, 2011
    If you have fifty bucks laying around, pick up a used boss ls2. The cm2 was my favorite drive for a long time, and I loved it, blended with about 60 (wet) and 40% clean. I still love that set up, and will never get rid of my c m 2 for this very reason !

5. EHX Hot Wax Dual Overdrive

Hot Tubes is simply delicious on bass, Crayon can go warm to flatulence saturation, combined is instant combustion.

6. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    Shift Line Buzz. Sort of Darkglassy without the weird air and fizz. I think it's the best pedal I've ever played.

7. Hmmm my interest is piqued...

zapped777 likes this.
  8. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    Shift line buzz reminds me of cog mini 66... I thought I’d only use it for a few songs but pretty much leave it on all the time now, love my mini 66!

9. The Buzz sounds like it might be cool, but I would want to try one before buying it.

10. joker820

joker820 Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Wounded Paw makes good stuff although I’ve only tried their fuzz. I like the Smallsound/Bigsound Mini as an OD.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Source Audio Aftershock.

And with that, your search is over.

11100730_800.

12. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    But but but cog mini 66!.... ( ok I have an aftershock too but shh)

13. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Looks like you're looking for something transparent/amp-like, am I correct? My vote for best overdrive in that vein is the Broughton Audio Terraformer, which has a clean blend, 3-band EQ (shared, so it also affects the clean tone), and can be used at higher voltages for more headroom.

Comes out to $180 after Canadian shipping is added, but that's not far off from the Pork Loin and it's well worth the money. The clarity from this thing (especially at 24v) is unreal.

TrentB likes this.
  14. I have a Digitech CM-2 that I play my guitar (PRS SE Santana) through, and they makes amazing tones (even though my playing is not so great). I haven't considered using it with my bass. Now I'm going to have to try it!

zapped777 likes this.
  15. I bought it because it was recommended to me as a bass friendly tube screamer type pedal, and I found one for 35 bucks. It was one of the best things I ever did for my tone.

Artman and zapped777 like this.
  16. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The CM-2 is indeed a fantastic pedal.

zapped777 likes this.
  17. Okay, I've got a few options to check out!

gregmon79 likes this.
  18. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco