Bass-friendly OD w/dry blend... Soul Food, Sparkle Drive, Pork Loin?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MarshallLaw, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Another vote for this guy. This has become my always on drive. Very versitile when you play around with both drives, and the blend.

ObsessiveArcher and zapped777 like this.
  2. I have both the Sparkle Drive and the Bass Soul Food. Both good.

The SD is a TS clone and loses some low end, just a touch in the drive. The Keeley Mod which changes some caps and makes it lower supposedly helps a lot but I still use mine without it.

I like the Soul Food a little better, but don’t like the character of the drive as much.

Better than both, although with no dry blend - because it doesn’t need it - is Creation Audio’s Grizzly Bass. Seriously, it doesn’t need a clean blend.

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

The Southampton Fifth Gear V2 gets a lot of well deserved love at TB. Goes from subtle thickening right up to mild fuzz. I’m not too big on overdrive for the most part. But I bought a Fifth Gear. It’s what I think of as “a grown-up’s OD.” Comes in under $150 with shipping.

cataract, two fingers and gregmon79 like this.
  4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Never seen this one. Sounds pretty sweet.

JCooper likes this.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    There is a lot out there. And you have come to a perfect place to get suggestions.

Personally I think the Pork Loin is one of the “best” ODs I’ve ever played. Now I did mod mine mind you. I did that JohnK cap swap mod. But after I did that simple mod I fell for that pedal. For the amount it fetches its really one of the coolest bass ODs I’ve played. A lot out there though. I use the MBD1 nowadays and couldn’t be happier. But I know that is out of the price range you wanted to stick in. No problem. Most have suggested some really nice ones so far. I thought the Cadine Pure Sky was really nice for what it is. Its very natural sounding, dare I say tubey sort of. I had a CM2 at one point too and I liked it well enough but it felt too sterile after a while. To me ears. But my ears seem to change as time goes on. If I were to pick one of the ones you named though it would probably be the Soul Food.

zapped777 likes this.
  6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    I'd vote for the Grizzly as well. Tubby! I shouldn't have gotten rid of the two I've had.

The Sparkle Drive's blend I always thought sounded too separated. Best blend I've heard is probably on the BAssmaster, but that's not a transparent-OD flavor for sure.

7. 2010P

2010P Inactive

May 13, 2017
    I took a chance on one and it quickly became my number one. It's very Darkglassy but without the top end air and fizz. Someone mentioned it sounds like a Cog 66. It most definitely sounds nothing like that pedal. Cuts like a knife.

gregmon79 likes this.
  8. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Based on what I have read, throw me in as another "Hot Wax" guy for what you need. The versatility is there between the two stacked drives and you can really customize the sound. The price isn't much more than the Soul Food but unless you want than Klon clarity the HW should serve you better.

zapped777 and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  9. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I didn't care for the EHX BSF. It didn't get down and dirty enough imo.

Turtle71 and Being and Bass like this.
  10. Aqualung60

Aqualung60

Jun 19, 2013
    New Jersey
    +This. I replaced my Soul Food with this as my "Always on" OD. I highly recommend it.

11. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Not to hijack the thread, but what is your always-on settings for the Wax? I bought it for the Hot Tubes with a blend and fell in love with the Crayon which is almost always on now.

12. I recently picked up the Hot Wax and I am really enjoying it. This demo on bass should help.

emjazz and Aqualung60 like this.
  13. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Source Audio AfterShock. Done.

14. Aqualung60

Aqualung60

Jun 19, 2013
    New Jersey
    I use the Hot Tubes as my "Always On" with the drive set about 1 o'clock and the blend little over half and it fattens up my sound without being too driven unless I dig in. When I want to really get some dirt I add the Crayon which I set the drive at 3 o'clock. The Bass and Tone I keep set flat.

15. I'm contemplating a Low Pass dry blend/switcheable Full Range or High Pass dirt side, as I love having a clean, punchy bottom end blended in with the dirt (regardless of HP/full range).

My only problem is getting the time to build it up (I DIY/KIT ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I can!)...

Edit- I should mention that my current dirt boxes are a Russian Big Muff clone, RAT2 and guitarPCB Bass/Guitar Driver kit.

Bassbeater likes this.
  16. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Just a suggestion that changed how I look at dirt effects for bass. Add a Boss LS2 or equivalent and you can clean blend any pedal. :D

emjazz likes this.
  17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I would suggest against the Sparkle Drive. I also felt the blend was poorly implemented. Sounds completely separate from the drive sound.

DDXdesign likes this.
  18. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I hear people say this a lot but I haven't noticed it at all on my clone. Though to be fair I haven't used many blends and maybe my clone varies more from the original then I thought.

I tend to leave the blend at 50-75% and it sounds great IMO. It's a lot of fun to crank the gain and treble for some over the top stuff and balance it with the blend.

Here is a really short bass demo with all the controls at 12:

And here is a better PGS guitar demo which does a good job showing off the blend:

Also the Sparkledrive MOD version is a lot nicer then the original, it has the standard 808 TS mode + 3 higher gain modes.

19. Black Sheep, Terraformer, and Hot Wax are on the list now too...

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021