1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Friendly stores in Oklahoma City?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RSmith, Apr 15, 2009.

1. I'm in town for daughters cheer comp weekend of 4/18 and I may have some downtime. Any music stores in Oklahoma City where I might find high end or vintage basses?

2. Not really. Guitar Center has the best selection. There's a few mom and pops that have the standard Yamaha/Fender/Ibanez selection. I don't know of any dealers that carry new Laklands etc.

3. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    What about Honest Ron's? Haven't been there in years, but Ron Lira always seemed to have some pretty cool vintage stuff around.
    Moonshine :bassist:

4. Honest Ron's is a nice repair shop. He's only open 2-3 days per week for a few hours. He's got some used stuff, but it's a small place.

I suppose any small shop COULD have a nice vintage bass or two, but I don't know of any place you could go to be assured of seeing a few.

Does the OP have anything specific in mind as far as brands go?

5. Thanks for the responses. No specific brands, I'm a good tourist when it comes to music shops but I just wanted to see if there were any "must see" shops! A well stocked used section at GC is fun too!

6. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You might try Horn Trader Music in downtown OKC. Bruce usually has a vintage Fender or two, and I once saw an Alembic there, though I can't promise that he'll have them whenever you come through. Guitar Center usually has a few cool and somewhat unique basses around (SSD, Benevante, Bee, higher end Warwicks) but it can be really hit or miss.

+1 for Honest Ron's, but he's open such odd hours that it can be difficult to get in to his shop.

I hate to say it, but finding cool gear in OKC is a crapshoot most of the time. When it comes time to buy bass gear, I'll save some cash and make a trip to Dallas, Austin or maybe Chicago where I know places that regularly carry higher end stuff.

7. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Rawson Music

8. Rawson Music is a small music store that carries a lot of new Jay Turser guitars and basses. I don't recall ever seeing 'high end or vintage basses' in there.