Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass from the states

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daasbraad, May 25, 2005.

1. daasbraad

daasbraad

May 13, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Good day bass lovers,

A short introduction first as this is my first post here. My name is Daasbraad, from the Netherlands. 22 years of age and playing bass since I'm 18. I have owned and still own a total of 2 basses. A Yamaha RBX 260 and an Ibanez ATK 310.

Being a poor student, I really can't afford the high end basses I see here regularly (Sadowsky, Lakland, etc.) and to be frank, I don't think I play well enough to deserve one of those.
    But lately I've been having some major G.A.S. for a Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Those things cost a good 900 Euro's here in Europe. That's about $ 1100! . Cruising on the net, I found that in the States, a Geddy goes for about $ 650 and that is a mere 530 euro! Being the poor student I am, do any of you have any idea how to get an American Geddy to the Netherlands without me leaving the country?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

P.S. English isn't my first language, but I hope you guys catch my drift

2. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Ebay? If you can get the seller to ship to Europe.

Considering the Geddy is made in Japan anyway, maybe a MIJ 75RI ordered straight from Japan might fill your needs. It won't have the BAII bridge, the shaved neck, and the 70s bridge positioning, but it should be alot less expensive than 1000 EUR and you have more color options.

3. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    The other thing to remember is that you will have to pay shipping (about $150) then import tax and sales tax into the Netherlands. In my experience you'll not be a lot better off at your price level, it's a different story if you are buying a high end instrument as the savings can be significant because of the good exchange rate at the moment. The other thing to consider is that its a huge risk buying an instrument you havent seen or played, if I were you I'd get the Geddy in the Netherlands, at least you can try b4 you buy. Good luck

4. Be careful there...

Im from Portugal (in the EU in case youre wondering... LOL)
    and You'll be hit for taxes on the Bass's value when it hits Customs in your country...
    make sure its still worth it.

Customs have a kind of magic that can turn the greatest deal on earth to the most terrifying nightmare of a purchase.

Been there... regretfully...

5. hey there

goed om hier een andere Nederlander te zien, maar voor de beleefdheid gaan we maar door in het Nederlands, nietwaar?

Well, as 'm Dutch too, as well as student, I know what you're going through, anyway...the only way to get reasonable prices is to buy used, shipping in from the states will get you about the same price tag as www.musik-produktiv.de which is 890 euros. In my opinion fender basses are especcially overprized here, while, for example, the difference btween yamaha's isn't that big.

if you ARE buying in the states, try to get a used one over there, you might get a tax discount because it's not used

good luck