Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Frontiers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Thought I posted this yesterday - but I didn't see it show up in the threads - lest it got bumped cuz someone here works for Bass Frontiers :p.

Anyhoo - I subscribed to Bass Frontiers magazine a few years ago. Almost never got the damn thing, had to call them all the time and complain, would get issues months late, and just finally gave up on them. I remember the editor writing columns saying how he was sorry things were screwed up at the magazine, but he was touring and playing and so involved in being a bass player that it was hard to keep up the magazine. Uh Duh... then get someone who CAN and wants to do it, and be a bass player, not editor.

Now, without having ever renewed my subscrition (at least 2 years) I get a magazine in the mail every now and then. I never know when it's gonna come, but I get around 4 of em a year. Go figger. Got one yesterday.

Anyone else have any experience with them?

2. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Pretty good issue! The Gary Willis open forum was very good. Hey, whenever I get mine its just a small
    treat I am not expecting. I need to renew Bassics too. Thanks for reminding me!
    Dan

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I used to buy it. But I can't find it anymore.

4. Ya Yvon, Montreal is a weird place for Bass Frontiers. There were a few magazine shops downtown that carried it last year, but now it is very inconsistant.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I used to buy it in rosemère, and the shop where i was buying it, told me they never had that mag in stock...( I bought it there for over a year! :rolleyes: )

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Joe,
    Thanks for the info, I'll make sure your removed from the mailing list ;)

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    DOH!

I forgot to mention that the worst part of my not getting my magazine was that I was missing my 2 months worth of real Bass information. And that the articles in Bass Frontiers are so much more informative than the stuff in Bass Player. Not just "I own 3 Ibanez basses and a GK 400". The magazine really gets my blood pumping, especially articles by Mike D. Hey, anyone ever get into the book "The Chordal Approach", it has helped my playing immeasurably.

Yeah, the guys at the magazine have had some problems with MY deliveries, but DOH again, my mailperson has an alcohol problem and I only get mail 4 times week anyhow. Maybe it isn't the guys at Bass Frontiers after all.

I also forgot to mention that when I called to complain they gave me a great Bass Frontiers T-shirt as ammends. That was kinda nice of them. I wear it all the time. Hey - maybe they've been sending me these extra magazines as an addition to their ammends. I did miss many, many issues.

You know, If I keep getting free issues I think I'll have nothing but praise for Bass Frontiers in the future. Yeah - I think that.

Hmmm.... most recent thought (as of this second). Maybe my girlfriend renewed my subscription and forgot to tell me, and I'm still only getting every other issue?!?!?

None the less - it really is a great magazine.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...nice try, Joe.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Seriously,
    I have been talking to Jim Hyatt for years about getting the administrative part of it together. But he is and we are all first off players. I don't feel that it is an excuse (actually, I can tell you all the excuses - but won't). I will, however, remind him of his responsibilities once more.

Mike