Bass fuzz with blend control?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pelog, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Pelog

Pelog

Dec 22, 2007
    What's a good fuzz pedal that can add some grind and sustain to my tone without losing it? I'm looking for moderate fuzz tones to cut through the mix, but no "over the top" stuff. A blend control that mixes the "wet" and "dry" tones would be ideal.

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    People will recommend the Attack Goat.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Both the MXR Blowtorch and the Bass Big Muff are fuzzes with blend options, although they're quite different-sounding.

4. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    MXR Bass Blowtorch is an excellent option as well, and should be fairly easy to get ahold of.

5. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    The Bass Big Muff doesn't really have a blend control per se - it has a blended mode that dials in a certain % of dry signal, but you can't control how much, unlike the Blowtorch.

6. The affordable ehx Bass Big Muff is the perfect thing for what you describe you're trying to achieve.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    True, but it works more than well enough as far as being able to blend in a clean signal. I love 'em both- the BBM and the Blowtorch are probably my most used sounds.

8. It's just another way of accomplishing the same thing, and some folks actually find it MORE practical.

9. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm working on one. :ninja:

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The BBM was the best bang-for-the-buck pedal to come out for bass last year IMO. Lots of people raved about the Polish Love, but the BBM was less expensive and offered a ton of versatility.

11. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm glad I didn't buy into the hype for that pedal. But I'm just not an OD guy. I want fuzz.

12. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Major players with "blend" I've tried. They all handle the blending a little differently, but all have the ability to maintain clean signal in some capacity:

• EHX - Bass Big Muff - Cheap scooped-mids fuzz
    • Wounded Paw - Attack Goat - bright cutting fuzz
    • smallsound/bigsound : team_awesome fuzz machine - big range, sizzley high end, huge volume possibilities
    • Chunk Systems - Brown Dog - gated and strong mids fuzz
    • Malekko B:assmaster - wide total range (varies by model) can be smooth (germanium) or cutting (sil)

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    A good bass tone with distortion but a sound that still cuts through the mix ...

I have been searching for that for years. My first food solution was the bass pod. It got me almost there. But now I took a page from Geddy's book and I run several effects in parallel. I blend dirty and clean signals together in parallel.

pedal.jpg

First I split the signal into 4 parallel signals with a rolls mixer.

1 - I run one into the Line6 bass pod where I model an ampeg flip top with a rat distortion pedal. I use this to get a retro growlly distorted sound.

2 - The second signal goes into a Mxr bass di+. I use this pedal to get a clean modern sound. It also has a distortion button that can give a moderate to extreme amount of modern distortion.

3 - The third signal goes into a Marshall Guv'nor. This gives me an old 60s marshall stack sound. This can go from a small amount of distortion to an over the top marshall sound. This effect can give you a Chris Squire Yes sound or a heavy metal sound, or just a subtle amount of distortion.

4 - The fourth signal goes into a Tech21 vt bass pedal. With this effect I get a slightly dirty Ampeg SVT bass amp sound with a tube like growl.

Then I remix the 4 signals back together and run it into a bass amp, or pa, or studio mixer. Because the signals are parallel I can mix clean and overdriven sounds together and still get effect and a sound that punches through the mix.

This is not a cheap setup ... It cost me over $500 to set this up ... but I can dial in pretty much any tone that I want. Especially since I have a good bass rig and most of my basses have 3 or 4 band preamps.

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I really like my Pickle Pie "b", B;assmaster, and GeminiDrive.

15. so how do you like the brown dog? are we gonna get a review soon or WHAT, man?

16. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Let's not forget my favorite - Prescription Electronics Depth Charge.

The DC and attack goat are very similar (I own and love them both)

17. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What do you find is the advantage for you to going with the two mixer setup rather than one active blender?

18. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Interesting question. It seems cool, too early to make any judgements yet. I've got a different review in the can, I just need to finish typing up, after that I'll be doing a Pickle Pie B that is getting loaned to me.... maybe after that... oh wait, still have that Woolly Mammoth review to do. The whole thing is for fun, so I decided I wouldn't rush things unless people were counting on me ;)

19. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm going to blow up a bridge for every day that a new review isn't up. I'll give advance warning as to which bridge it is, of course, so people don't get hurt. But still, it'll be quite costly building another one!

20. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    How scooped are the BBM mids?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021