Bass fx help please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pcollin, Dec 27, 2005.

1. pcollin

Dec 22, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    I play in an eclectic rock type band. Some originals, mostly covers. Everything from "Classic '70s rock" to Lisa Loeb, Garbage, Bonnie Raitt and No Doubt. I've been playing for about 14 years and my band gives me plenty of room to roam and add to the songs. I play Fender Jazz Basses and am currently using a Hardke 70 watt combo unit. I'm interested in adding a little "something" to my bass sound. Our guitarist has all the toys and I don't want to get lost in process. That's why I've always played clean. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    you're using a 70 watt combo?
    nothing wrong with a clean sound, but you have no overhead.
    how about getting a larger setup?
    that will add a little something to the mix.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Pick up an old Ibanez UE303B. It has compressor, chorus, and auto-filter, and they all sound awesome.
  4. +1

Or if you just wanna spice upi your sound a little a pedal is always fun! Plus pedals can be used no matter how your other gear changes. My recommendations:

DOD 250: Smooth overdrive that's not gonna saw your ears apart.

Hao Rust Ride: Solid overdrive that might saw your ears apart.

MXR Microamp: Boost pedal that'll color your tone awesome, or just boost your signal. Or you can use it to produce natural overdrive.

I prettymuch just like overdrive.
  5. The bassist(s) on Garbage many times use a lot of fuzz. There's a ton of fuzz pedals out there but one that I use and like is Big Muff Pi.